1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5.7 x 28mm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this round? I see Savage is offering it in a rifle. Is it as good as a Hornet?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It was originally designed to bridge the gap between 9mm and 5.56 NATO round. I have held FN Herstal's pistol chambered in it although i have never fired one. I would think you could find a much more practical and cost effective round to shoot from a Savage rifle. To each his own though. I think it would be an awesome pistol round though.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think it would be an awsome varmint round and better that the Hornet in that the brass is thicker and is a conventional bottle neck shape that should reload well. If you don't reload, the factory ammo is alot less expensive than Hornet ammo and available with some high performance bullets.

I have shot this round both in the FN pistol and carbine and wasn't really impressed with either but that was more about the guns than the round. In a quality bolt gun it should be alot of fun.

4. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

That is the round that the "Undercover Muslem" used to shoot all those people in Ft.Hood Texas. A friend of mine has th FN pistol. He says it is a kick in the rear to shoot. 20round magazines are available for them and they sell an extension to make them 30 round magazines.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Keltec makes a pistol and real short rifle that uses that caliber. I think it's a KS-30 or something like that. My brother has one of the rifles and it came with a 50 shot clip. It has a silencer on it and he's looking at putting one of those rocking stocks on it so it will fire like an automatic. He has another rifle with one of those stock on it and it will drain a 20 shot magazine in seconds. The Keltec S-30 rifle is being carried by Secret Service so they apparently think it's a pretty good round. Jackie B.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Works great in a handgun. Don't know about a rifle, but with quality components, it should do pretty well as a varmint rifle in the Hornet class or better. The "good" ammo is not for sale anymore, since it could defeat many common types of body armor.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A suppressor will greatly reduce the muzzle blast, but it won't do anything to muffle the supersonic crack of the bullet, which is pretty loud. Loads must be kept subsonic to reap any benefit.

As for comparing the 5.7x28 to the 22 Hornet in a rifle, the Hornet clearly outclasses the 5.7.

When comparing and trying to keep velocities close, the bullet weights are widely separated.

The 5.7x28 SS195 ammo, which has a 28 grain bullet, has a velocity of 2350 fps from the 4.8" FN pistol barrel, and from the 16" rifle barrel is doing approximately 2550 to 2600 fps.

A 22 Hornet can easily exceed that with a 55 gr bullet, doing about 2650 fps.

When comparing the same bullet weight, velocities become widely separated.

The SS197 launches a 40 grainer from the pistol at 1800 fps and 1950 fps from the rifle.

A 22 Hornet with a 40 grainer is in the 2800 fps range.

That's a big difference. This clearly shows that comparisons of the 5.7x28 to the 22 Hornet are wishful thinking.

Going further, the 22 WMRF with a 40 grainer has a velocity of a bit over 1900 fps. The example I looked up was 1910 fps. That's 40 fps under the 5.7x28mm.

OK, so the 5.7x28 from a rifle with 40 grainers is pretty close to the 22 WMRF with a 40 grainer.

It gets better when comparing the 28gr 5.7x28 to the 30 gr WMRF. The 5.7 from a rifle is doing 2500 to 2600 fps, while the 22 WMRF is peaking at 2200 fps. The 5.7 is the clear winner here.

So what good is it?

Well, I recall three major things people do not like about the 22 WMRF. One is that it is not reloadable. Another is that not being reloadable it is not flexible for bullet weight and selection (to some extent that's not quite true now that more bullet variety is being offered). The third is the real kicker, and that's less than stellar accuracy. The 5.7 is the hands down winner in all three categories.

Also, while many like the 17 HMR, there are plenty who do not. It has problems in the wind, and it's limited to the smaller varmints. Compare the 28 gr 5.7 at 2550 to 2600 fps to the 17 HRM 17 grainer at 2550 fps or the 20 grainer at 2350 fps. Better wind bucking, higher velocity, 8 to 11 grains more weight, better terminal results, and it's reloadable. From an accuracy standpoint, the 17 HMR might hold a bit of an edge, but from the reports being given, it's pretty close.

So, in my opinion, the 5.7x28 from a varminting standpoint is the reloaders alternative to the high velocity rimfires.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Go to Elite Ammo website---they amke all kinds of interesting 5.7 x28mm ammo as well as other calibers--not cheap--but their stuff will get the any job you need to do done.

Phil Berkowitz

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Elite has some cool ammo but they are always out of stock with long backorders.

I have both the FNH pistol and an AR57 upper on a AR15 lower. The ballistics Jeff quoted are likely from an 18" barrel. I don't know what the Savage will have for a barrel but custom rifles with 24" barrels naturally do quite a bit better.

I shoot a lot of the cheap Midway 34gr Dogtown bullets in my guns and I like the caliber enough to have been considering a custom rifle. With the advent of the Savage I plan to look into getting one of them.

10. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I have the FN Herstal pistol and it is a kick to shoot.

I can actually hit something with it out to about 80 yards. (I cannot hit anything with a pistol past my nose normally). Mine came with 3 30 round clips. I only load 10 to a clip for plinking to slow down how quick I burn my ammo.

I have three friends that bought one after shooting mine.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The main advantage it has is being a rimless case, it feeds out of magazines much much better than the rimfire or rimed centerfire ammo of about the same ballistics.

I'm fairly certain the Secret Service uses the FN P90 bullpup rifle not the screwed together plastic Keltec thing.

12. claysmokeshow

claysmokeshow TS Member

The Elite ammo is the only ammo that AR 57 says NOT to use in their guns.

13. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

The 5.7 is a fun round to shoot! I have a 1960's era select fire Colt/Armalite AR-15 and bought a full auto capable upper in 5.7. I run a 9mm Yankee Hills suppressor on it. The strange thing is the magazine loads on top of the upper and it ejects straight down out of the now empty magwell. Very controllable on full auto and that is why some forces are going to it. In my opinion, the FN pistol is overpriced but for now it's the only game out there in a pistol.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Check the price of the ammo before buy the rifle.

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That's why you reload them....
    [​IMG]

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well $20 per 50 rounds is about as cheap as it gets for center fire ammo with the exception of imported .223 and 7.62x39 junk. Not cheap but the serious varmint shooter would do as Claybrdr suggests anyway.

17. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I have both the FN 5.7 Pistol and the FN PS 90 Bullpup. I have been able to buy the Ammo from a dealer in Tucson for $17.50 per box of 50.Pistol is very light at 23 oz. empty ,it comes with 3 20 rd clips , they can be bought for around $1050.00 I got the PS 90 bullpup in a trade, so I don't know what the new cost is. but fun to shoot. Bob R

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They are extremely sensitive to slight powder changes. Several tenths over max can damage your gun.

Get a Browning A-Bolt in 22 Hornet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.