1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5.7 mm pistol

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The 5.7x28mm cartridge depend on bullet tumbling after impact to create wound channel, not bullet expansion like ordinary cartridges, which was controversial.

We don't know the details of this shooting, but this would be a sad case to prove the capability of 5.7x28.

The 30 round magazine has less than 1.75" extension from the grip of the pistol, it's a very effective weapon.

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm very afraid this is going to bring on a new round of gun banning bs, I predict that 30 round magazine is going to be a focal point. Never mind you had a base full of unarmed people, a better place to go on a rampage than a school even. I do feel for those who lost loved ones and my heart goes out to them but no laws could prevent what happened.

I can't agree that the 5.7 is an effective weapon, the dead to wounded ratio says it's not. Gruesome to say but it looks pretty ineffective to me, don't bother to tell me to ask the poor dead folks that, with that many rounds available it would have been much worse with a more effective gun. Good thing this guy believed the hype, there may be some people alive today because of it.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a FN 57, 20 rd magazines are OEM, 10 rd magazine extensions are readily available. The fact that this pistol has nearly zero recoil,makes it very easy to hit multiple targets with ease. An almost 50% fataliy is testament to its lethality.

Phil Berkowitz

4. Steve W

Like I said, we don't know all the details of this shooting, but 13 D & 31 W can't make a meaningful statement of the cartridge. Many wounded among the 31 could be from over penetrations.

Just look at the shots this SoB received, the police woman shot the shooter 4 times with either 9mm or 40SW with standard police issue "effective" HPs, he didn't die.

5. GSPBirdDog

GSPBirdDog TS Member

The 5.7X28 is a round that was designed to penetrate body armor as well as helmets....It is a devistating round and is roughly the size of a 17HMR but with a centerfire primer! Such a shame and after watching the news it seems there were plenty of warning signs! But i am sure it will be the gun's fault!!!

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Well 38% isn't good enough for me, now they are saying around 100 rounds were fired. I'm not convinced this round in a handgun is anything to hype. In the sub gun it should be effective, but hell anything in a subgun will get the job done, I know a trooper who was killed by a Mac 11 380 subgun.

It won't matter the liberal media has already started demonizing the pistol involved. How about the shooter who hollered " God is great" before he started shooting people? Isn't that what the Islamic terrorists say? Do you think the liberal media will call him a Islamic Terrorist? They kinda glossed over the incident in Little Rock.

Penetrating body armor is all well and good but this is a tiny little projectile and would be slowed down considerably by body armor, a 12 gauge slug that didn't penetrate might do more damage from blunt trauma. Also the ammo has been downloaded a bunch from its introduction velocity, I think the hot stuff is still available to military and maybe LE but not the public which degrades the performance even more. Put me in the skeptic column, too bad the police woman didn't have a 45 ;^) but we don't know where she hit him anyway and as we all know bullet placement is the number one decider. She deserves a bunch of credit as she is a hero for having the guts to face this guy and put him down.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One of the talking heads on Fox News called it "... an FN 5.7; a very powerful 9mm handgun with a 20 round clip". Other talking heads have called it the "5.7 cop killer".<br>
    <br>
    You can see where this is going.

8. GSPBirdDog

GSPBirdDog TS Member

""One of the talking heads on Fox News called it "... an FN 5.7; a very powerful 9mm handgun with a 20 round clip". Other talking heads have called it the "5.7 cop killer".

You can see where this is going.""

Yeah...The bad part is....they probably gathered that info from a local gunshop expert!!! We all see where this is going to go! Guns don't kill people...People kill people(and so does Ted Kennedy's car)

9. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Fox News is run by the rightwingnuts . Get in lockstep . God help those injured and killed by this senseless act . Jim

10. oz

oz Active Member

New dirty harry movie???????

11. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

"... an FN 5.7; a very powerful 9mm handgun with a 20 round clip" You can't get more ignoramus than that. 5.7mm is definitely NOT 9mm, not even close. But then the newspeople know that demagoguery always beats facts. The external ballistics of the 5.7 is close to the .22WMR. The ammo sold to the public sports a 40gr Hornady VMAX bullet, so terminal ballistics may be different. MV is 2200-2300fps. The original bullet as designed by FN (SS109) is able to penetrate body armor. Its sale is restricted to the military and LE, and hasn't been imported into this country in years.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

So how hard is it to reload with a ss 109 bullet? They can be reloaded in the carbine, but dangerous in the pistol.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The pistol is very light, 1.6 lbs with a 20 round magazine. You don't need armor piercing rds to do a lot of damage if your target isn't wearing body armor. The ability to put alot of rds downrange and on target is very easy to do with a FN 57 doue to its comfort & lack of recoil. Also, you can carry 300 rds in the pocet of an ordinary jacket. An International review voted it the best pistol in the world.

Phil Berkowitz

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Those damn "Black Pistols".

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Toolmaker 251

The SS109 is a cartridge; its bullet is not available as a component for reloading. Yes, the 5.7x28 can be reloaded (albeit a little tricky) with any available .224 bullet, none of which can defeat body armor at its maximum velocity. Took a good serious look at the cartridge/firearm combination when I was looking for a "house" gun.

Chichay

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wifes' favorite carry gun-the 5.7!!

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Until you have shot a 5.7 and put 20 rds where you wanted them to go in a few seconds, you don't have anything to say about this pistol. All I know is I can hit whatever I'm pointing at as many times as I want to & have a great deal more rds left in my magazine than any other pistol out there. Just think about it, the secret service uses it--look on the net and see who uses this gun.

Phil Berkowitz

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I always thought the SS109 nato round which I have plenty of is a 62 gr. penetrator 5.56? Take that bullet head off and reload on the 5.7 case?

19. Steve W

It's SS190.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Frankly, the killed to wounded ratio in this particular incident does not speak well of a the capabilities of the 5.7mm pistol. My conjecture is that the body count would have been higher if a more traditional handgun round had been used, like the 45 ACP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.