1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5.56x45 LC brass & 64gr Federal Fusions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Want to reload the combination but could not find any data using this bullet. Have scoured lots of reloading manuals without success. Would appreciate any "recipe" you can offer, including its source. Thanks. Chichay

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Winchester shows:

0.223 Remington - 64 gn PP bullet with 25.0 grain of 748 powder giving 2970 fps and 47,500 psi

-

CENTERFIRE RIFLE LOADING DATA
    The data for metallic cartridges contained in this handbook were obtained using Winchester cases and primers unless otherwise noted. Substitution of components other than bullets of the same size and weight from reputable manufacturers could alter the ballistic level and safety of these loads. Winchester strongly urges when using this information you use the components as shown.
    Extrapolation of additional loads from this data should not be attempted. Such practice can be dangerous. Winchester has strived to show those applications for which BALL POWDER® smokeless propellant is most ideally suited. While other loads are certainly possible, the only way such loads can be developed is in a ballistic laboratory. Winchester cautions against the use of any other loads with Winchester smokeless propellant except where such loads have been adequately proven with the proper testing.
    Velocity
    Velocities quoted in the tables are averages of a series of shots fired in accordance with equipment and techniques universally used throughout the American arms and ammunition industry. Listed loads have given uniform velocity results in our tests.
    All rifle velocities quoted have been measured in standard SAAMI* barrels of 24-inch length, except the 30 carbine data which was obtained in a 20" barrel. *Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute.

-

PM me with an e-mail address and I can send you a pdf of 223 specific load data. It's just too hard to format it for this page

3. oz

oz Active Member

go to hodgdons.com also you could use a starting load for 62 grain bullets. My favorite powder for 223/556 is hodgdon's CFE223.... it erases copper fouling while you shoot. similar to H335.

4. oz

oz Active Member

I just checked hodgdon.com they also have data for 63 grain bullets. I think you can work with that.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You can just go by weight, type (jacketed) and desired velocity. 63 vs 64 grains is negligible. That said, start 5%-10% low and work up, if desired. Check the difference between powder loading of two bullets 5 grains apart. It's not much. HSLDS's recommendation of WW748 is a good one. Ball powders are more forgiving when approaching maximum loads and you need an edge when you're just starting out.

The failure to list a certain bullet powder combination is the way they sell new reloading manuals. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The bullet weight is what makes the pressure. I know you can see differences in the manuals, but you can shoot the same exact load on different days and get different results too.

I shoot a 40 Vmax, but would not hesitate to use a load for a 40 grain bullet of another mfg.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.