1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$5.00 gas prices-effect your shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Looks like $5.00 gas prices are on the way. Will it effect your shooting? Be great if i could convert my Jeep Liberty to natural gas.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It will affect a lot more than peoples shooting

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Gas prices will not affect my shooting, but supply will. There have been predictions of rationing & gas lines again. If that is on the horizon may have to buy a small house & install a 500 gallon oil tank in the garage. Then I'll have to get a diesel vehicle with the biggest range/tank.

The big shoots such as the Grand,the Cardinal--will disappear--can't get there if there are gas lines.

Phil Berkowitz

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I hear gas lines are possible again. What a bunch of bull.

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

why?? did we run outa oil?

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It won't affect my shooting. It will affect where and how much I shoot.

7. yansica1

yansica1 Member

It has had a negative impact on our shooting over here in the UK, a few years back we used to factor in about £30 max for fuel for a full days shooting that often included 200-300 mile round trip to 2 or 3 competitions. Nowadays it is around double that even for a diesel vehicle, plus of course the entries and cartridges have leapt up. I don`t travel far unless I really want to go to a particular shoot because of their target reputation.

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

SM, there is a kit for your jeep (older CJ's) for propane.

http://www.gotpropane.com/p267.html

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Yes.

If we're out of oil it's because China is drilling the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico for the Cubans, while the morons in Washington have tied our hands with a drilling moratorium. Maybe they can figure out a way to just give this entire country away, and save the bloodshed.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Yes, especially in regard to attending fun shoots outside the local area.

11. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

It's all about fear tactics! The speculators need some way to drive the price of oil up again. They need another billion dollars.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

OPEC cut their production by some 3.5 million barrels a day about 2 years ago and never fully opened the spigots since. This recession was partly caused by gas and diesel being $4 and $5 a gallon in the spring of 2008, watch what happens to our economy again.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Little impact from $5/gal. Shortages are a danger as there is nothing one can do.

For some of the shoots that are father away my buddy and I have gone in one car. For example, we enjoy the Cardinal Center and it is about 200 miles. If I pull the 5th wheel I am looking at 40 gallons of fuel - total - $200 @ $5/gal. If I drive my car, costs are less than half of that. Over a 5-6 day shoot that is not a deal breaker. If you "buddy-up" the costs are half again.

The Grand is a 1200 mile round trip. $600 with $5 fuel. That is $220 more than todays cost. Over 12 days, I do not see it as a deal breaker if I want to go. I can use it as an excuse if I am on the edge. It is easier to blame fuel prices than a lack of drive or desire.

Frankly, there are so many shoots with in a 100 mile radius that if someone wants to shoot they will. People may not travel as far as they do today, but they will still shoot if they wish to. Smaller clubs and larger "local" events will get more action.

The real problem is the drain on disposable income if someone has a lengthy commute every day and wages do not keep up. More money to cover a necessity means less money to play with.

Don Verna

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Don V hit the nail on the head. I'll probably do more shoots that are multiple days and less shoots that are only 1 or 2 days. I have to travel more than 100 mi to shoot at a club other than our 1 local club.

Bob

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It will cost another $50 to fill a 25 gallon tank. Don't play the options. everyone says it's a waste of money anyway. Better yet, BBQ instead of eating out for a week, or buy Black Velvet instead of Crown Royal.

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Thier was and never will be a shortage. The shortage onlyl comes from man made shortage. OPEC and all the rest of the oil people laugh their hinnes off when peole panic.
    In this country their is a law against a Monopoly if you are based in this country and no outside production. But if you manufacture or do business outside this country then all laws are off the books. So why not work with the other countrys and start controlling the production, refining, and inventory and have the leaders of this country stop prod
    uction or make it so stiff it hampers slowdown in production in our territory.

True scientist with that study the oil will tell you their is no way we can run out of oil. If every person in the world used it we still would not run out of oil. The earth continues to produce more oil everyday than we use.

Do you think the earth stopped producing oil. Hell no. Don't be so damn dumb. You are being duped everyday buy these tycons.

If their was a nationl stop working, buying, traveling, stop manufactruing anything, shutdown the hole country for 3 days this government would wake up in one hell of a hurry. Not revenue going into this government would stiffel them so quick that things would change very soon.

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"If their was a nationl stop working, buying, traveling, stop manufactruing anything, shutdown the hole country for 3 days this government would wake up in one hell of a hurry. Not revenue going into this government would stiffel them so quick that things would change very soon."

Cool, we could be just like the French. We could stop bathing too.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Rosey,

The "secret" is to have Crown for the first drink, and then go with the less expensive fluids.

Don Verna

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Don, I believe I might try that. Just have to make sure the first one is big. Bill

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

so it doesn't matter which party rules, BIG OIL is BOSS! Gotta figure some way for BP to collect up their losses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.