1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$5.00 at Wall Mart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I know this is way off topic, but we are buried with snow and in the middle of winter. This is a bulb my wife bought at wall mart 6 weeks ago.For 5 bucks they are a lot of fun to watch.
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00496.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00497.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If that's real and 6 weeks growth it looks like it will fill your home by spring time.

Eric

3. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

beautiful! A cheap way to be entertained too! think I will get my daughter a bulb today. thanks for sharing.......

4. JLW

JLW TS Member

Bill- I emailed about your 366-Jerald
    cware48420 at Yahoo.comXXX

5. BILL GRILL

Jerald, you sent a PM I have PM ed you back with pictures ect. Thank you, Bill

I asure you this is a real flower and a lot of fun to watch grow during winter
    doldrums. Damn where is spring I need to compete. Get to shoot a Ithaca dollar grade this year. So all you big guys stand up, all you medium size guys find a partner, and all you little guys band togather, cause here I come 210 lbs of TIGER meat wraped around a steel rigid frame. Oh ya, also my wife loaned me the money to buy it! LMAO, BIll
    TOO MUCH COFFEE with Kahlua and baileys

6. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Man you have to be bored out of your mind to sit & watch a plant grow....I guess thats waht being stuck inside does to a body.....:)

Now I will say that is a darned pretty looking plant also!

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Must be a long winter........

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

My wife is a flower gardener and I like growing vegitables. Part of the enjoyment is watching things mature. You'd be surprised to see what some plants are capable of climbing or how nice they look when dried. Don't be critical of other's hobbies, I've been criticized of trap shooting and just accept it.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Remember the story about Jack and the beanstalk. Jack somehow got some magic beans, planted them and they grew up to the sky. He climbed the beanstalk and found a goose that laid golden eggs. Well, there was this rather tall fellow, "Fe Fi Fo Fum" and well, you know the rest.

Ed Ward

10. BILL GRILL

I may be bored but I draw the line at putting decals on my stocks. LOL
    Shootlow, My wife says thank you. She designed it.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

BillGrill,

Count me as another trapshooter who likes to watch things grow indoors in the winter (...legal things, that is). Amaryllis bulbs are about the most impressive, cheapest, easiest thing you can grow indoors in a northern climate.

The secret to making them bloom over and over again, year after year, is to cut off the spent bloom stalks before they set seed pods...then, put the pot OUTSIDE in your garden, as soon as all danger of frost has passed (I guess that will be quite a while, in your Lake Superior neighborhood). Just cut off all the foliage, and put them in a FULL SUN spot in your yard/garden, and let them soak up all that sunshine. They will grow new foliage all over again during summer. I throw a handful of slow-release Osmocote fertilizer in my pots, and hit them with the garden hose real good a couple times a week (it's above ground in a pot with holes in bottom and it drains real good, so you don't have to worry about over-watering).

Bring it back inside in the late fall, before the first frost hits it. Cut off any dead foliage once again before you bring it inside, and the whole process will repeat (new foliage and blooms). After a number of seasons, new bulb-lets will form to the sides of the existing bulb, and you will get more bloom stalks out of each (you may need to re-pot into a bigger pot after a couple years).

They usually bloom about 2 months after bringing inside (if you want to time it for, say, Christmas).

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My plant would devour your plant.

13. jrb100

jrb100 Member

My wife gets these every winter .my 4,8 year olds enjoy watching them grow and bloom very quickly.

joe

14. BILL GRILL

Bill's wife here: Can you describe exactly how far back you cut the spent bloom stalks? And then again when we take it outside, should we cut back right to base of the main stalk? I presume that while we are waiting for warm weather, I should put it in the basement? Thanks for the info -- I would have just tossed it. Yours are pretty incredible! ~ Liz

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bill's wife:

Cut the spent bloom stalks back to within a few inches of the bulb (the exact amount isn't critical). If there is healthy green foliage left, I go ahead and leave it...just set it next to a sunny window, and keep watering like a normal house plant and let those leaves soak up the sun. At some point, if the foliage dies back, don't worry...just cut them off. It will re-grow later (sometimes, 3x per year). I realize the box it came in probably says something about putting it in the dark basement, etc...but I never do that. I just treat it like a normal house plant, until it's time to put them out in the (late!) spring. They get no special treatment once outside. Exposed to the elements, gets sun just like a normal perennial...get rained on, the whole works. Hit it with the hose if it gets too dry.

There's really nothing to it at all. Many people throw these away, just like poinsettias. But they'll keep right on performing, and even getting larger, if you just keep caring for it. (If it ever fails to bloom in winter, just re-pot into a larger pot and keep on as usual). The large one in my photo has been putting on this performance every year for several years now.

Your $5 item from WalMart can last indefinitely...with a total of about 5 minutes of effort per year. Given enough time, and a big enough pot, the bulbs even multiply (the big one in my photo now has 8 bulbs of various sizes, that grew off one original bulb...not all of them bloom yet, but they get bigger every year). But I'm no expert; I'm sure you can probably find other info on Wikipedia (this is only what works for me).

Enjoy...

16. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

That does it I am starting grass seed for something to do.

Rock

Jim

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I'm no horticulturist but you can "push" bulbed plants into re-blooming several times a year. !st you must fool them into thinking it is winter. After bollming put the cut back plant into the refridg then into the freezer. Now the plant will re-grow and bloom. You might have to mess around with some artificial light (or at least add some light time to the winter months, mimicking summer light times). One can either have early bollming plants outside or blooming plants during the winter.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Bill did watching the paint dry in your nice kitchen send tingles down your leg like Chris mathews watching Obama? P.S.stay away from chea pet might overload your heart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.