1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4th of July is my favorite holiday

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Today we recognize all veterans and active duty military personnel.
  2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Thanks to all who have served our preservation of freedom which allows us to play on this site.:-}
  3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Masterseargent, please don't consider your service to this great country as "small". If it were not for you and those like you, I would not be able to sit in this comfy house typing out this, "Thank You". Have a happy Independance Day, Sir.

Brett D.
  4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Hey gunny!!!My son was a Marine also. I too am in love with the 4th of July. I have always been a fan of our Independence Day and the celebrations that we have to show it off. The besst parades and fireworks with the whole group of friends and family around is the best time. I guess it also goes along with the maturing of the garden crops and those great cookouts that we always have that makes th is day somuch fun. One particular parade must have been about 1958 there were two veterans on a float that were vets of the Spanish American War. When that float went by the guys my Dads age were cheering like we just won a ball game and Dad explained to me that there were few of those guys left and we must show our appreciation of their efforts. God Bless those that fought for us and those in the fray today. Dan
  5. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks, Fred, For your wonderful thoughts and your long service to the Corps. The Flag flies here, too, 24/7/365(yes it's lit at night). 4 July is my favorite also. As a USAF vet(66-70) with an Army Major for a son this is THE holiday to celebrate.

Larry Novak
  6. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks to all current and former servicemen. Happy Independance Day to all!

7. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Freedom Isn't Free

I watched the flag pass by one day.
    It fluttered in the breeze
    A young soldier saluted it, and then
    He stood at ease.
    I looked at him in uniform
    So young, so tall, so proud
    With hair cut square and eyes alert
    He'd stand out in any crowd.
    I thought how many men like him
    Had fallen through the years.
    How many died on foreign soil?
    How many mothers' tears?
    How many Pilots' planes shot down?
    How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
    No Freedom isn't free

I heard the sound of taps one night,
    When everything was still.
    I listened to the bugler play
    And felt a sudden chill.
    I wondered just how many times
    That taps had meant "Amen"
    When a flag had draped a coffin
    of a brother or a friend.
    I thought of all the children,
    Of the mothers and the wives,
    Of fathers, sons and husbands
    With interrupted lives.
    I thought about a graveyard at the
    bottom of the sea
    Of unmarked graves in Arlington.....
    No -- Freedom isn't free!!

...Cadet Major Kelly Strong
    Air Force Junior ROTC in 1981 now CDR Kelly Strong, USCG (Ret).

Happy 4th!! Let Freedom Ring!!!!!! Luvn

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    In our local paper there was a story of one of the tree or four remaining veterans of the WWI left alive. They are all over 100 years old and none of the four were actually in combat. Wow, what storys they have to tell about their lives and what things they have done. Three were veterans of Americas army and one is living in America now but a veteran of the Canadian forces. Seems like only yesterday I used to talk to vets from WWI all the time. Now the yougest of the four is 106. Time flies doesn't it? Dan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.