1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.480 Revolver / PA State Police Shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

From the Erie PA newspaper on line. I have never heard of a .480 caliber revolver or a .480 handgun of any type. Anyone know if such a firearm even exists?

GREENSBURG -- State police have identified two troopers who responded to a Westmoreland County domestic dispute that led to the fatal shooting of an armed man on Christmas Eve.

A Monday news release said Trooper John Fritz was attacked by 51-year-old Jeffrey Yohman when the trooper arrived at the scene about 4:15 p.m. Friday. After Yohman pushed the trooper over a front-porch railing, Yoh man went inside and got a .480-caliber revolver, which police said he cocked and aimed at troopers.

After Yohman refused to drop the weapon, Trooper John Isoldi shot Yohman twice in the torso with an AR-15 rifle, killing Yoh man.

State police said Yohman did not fire his weapon.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

.480 Ruger and .480 Linebaugh are two that I'm aware of.

ss

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info. I never realized that Ruger/Hornady had come up with this gun/cartridge combo. The Linebaugh seems to be listed as a .475 cartridge so I will have to make a guess that the dead guy had a Ruger.

It does not seem to be a very widely known caliber and I suspect it is not a poor mans gun. I can only wonder if alcohol was also involved. It sure seems that the dead guy was not thinking to clearly when he was faced with a trooper holding an AR-15.

4. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

It is not a real common caliber but it is readily avialable in the Ruger Super Redhawk Revolver. I have also seen Super Blackhawk Bisleys with custom 5 shot cylinders in 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh, .50A&E and 500 Linebaugh.

The guns with Linebaugh in the name start around $6 grand. So he probably had a Redhawk.

These are very powerful guns and had he chose to shoot those cops, their car would not have stopped the bullets except behind the engine block.

If you go to Linebaughs website on the front page there is a short video showing him shooting one of his guns. You'll get the idea when you watch it.

These are not "pop guns".

www.customsixguns.com

Randy

5. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Don't mess with the PSP.

They always win.

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like a "Suicide by cop".

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Either a suicide by cop, or a "Darwin by Jack Daniels"

Whatever the cause, I am glad the Troopers were not seriously hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.