1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

473AA ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ThorsDad, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

I recieved a 10# keg of 473AA from a friend, found an old recipe of 23.5 grns,aa12 wads,w209 primers,Rem hulls,1 1/8 of #8.Loaded up 25 and they broke the birds just fine but left the barrel really dirty.Before I load a bunch any advice or wisdom would be helpful and Thank You Jay.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any of the old slow burning powders will be dirty. I used to load 7625 at low pressures, recoil was very low, but filth was high.

A Federal primer might help is the load is low pressure with the Win. kl

I guess you can live with it or get some other powder.

HM

3. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

473 was always a dirty powder same as any winchester ball powder,loaded kegs of itfor years until it became unavailable, but it was a low pressure load and was very nice to shoot, if you got it for free load it and enjoy it. There will be plenty of people with old winchester manuals who will give you any ammount of recipies, I still have all the old manuals just in case someone finds a keg laying around that they want to give me.

Argus

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I loaded a lot of it in the 20 ga. It burned a little cleaner in those loads than I observed in the ATA level Traploads I tried. I believe it also finds use in high-speed loads for hunting or longer range clay target "games".

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you finnish shooting it for the day, fire a couple shells loaded with a fast burning powder, that will remove 95% of the crud. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.