1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

465 Million Taxpayer Dollars at Work...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MTA Tom, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

[​IMG]

"Stalled Out on Tesla’s Electric Highway" John M. Broder, NYT, 2-8-13

"I began following Tesla’s range-maximization guidelines, which meant dispensing with such battery-draining amenities as warming the cabin and keeping up with traffic. I turned the climate control to low — the temperature was still in the 30s — and planted myself in the far right lane with the cruise control set at 54 miles per hour (the speed limit is 65). Buicks and 18-wheelers flew past, their drivers staring at the nail-polish-red wondercar with California dealer plates....

Nearing New York, I made the first of several calls to Tesla officials about my creeping range anxiety. The woman who had delivered the car told me to turn off the cruise control; company executives later told me that advice was wrong. All the while, my feet were freezing and my knuckles were turning white....

At that point, the car informed me it was shutting off the heater, and it ordered me, in vivid red letters, to 'Recharge Now....'

'Car is shutting down,' the computer informed me. I was able to coast down an exit ramp in Branford, Conn., before the car made good on its threat....

Tesla’s New York service manager, Adam Williams, found a towing service in Milford that sent a skilled and very patient driver, Rick Ibsen, to rescue me with a flatbed truck. Not so quick: the car’s electrically actuated parking brake would not release without battery power, and hooking the car’s 12-volt charging post behind the front grille to the tow truck’s portable charger would not release the brake. So he had to drag it onto the flatbed, a painstaking process that took 45 minutes. Fortunately, the cab of the tow truck was toasty...."

All this for only $101,000.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is it true Volt owners try to avoid turning on their headlights?

Bob Falfa

3. thunder

thunder Active Member

Obama's Green America!

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Yeah, just the thing to fight "global warming". Electric cars powered by coal burning electrical plants. Makes sense to me.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Screw that. I have had the heat cranked with heated seats on high all winter long in my 300+ HP V8 -13mpg 4 WD crew cab truck running 68 mph in a 55 mph. That will counter act these expensive lemon electric toys.

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Park it in front of the White House on Pennsylvania Ave. with a sign tht reads

Obama's Prodigy"

Please take back under the lemon law!!

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.