1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.460 Weatherby Mark V F/S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shootrman, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I am selling for a friend a beautiful carla walnut five panel .460 Weatherby. Absolutely flawlwss. No scratches or nicks of any kind. Shot 5 times Pictures available to serious buyers. $3500.00 OBO plus shipping and ins.

2. jeffro

jeffro TS Member

shootrman:

I'm sure it really is flawless. Every .460 Weatherby I've ever seen has only been fired once! I shot one myself, ONCE, and it was an experience I (and my shoulder) will never forget. With roughly twice the ME of a .458 really, it truly is an incredible cartridge.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I can't believe what I'm hearing here....Are we a bunch of whimps? hehhehe
    Maybe X-skeet shooters.......Have a great holiday guys

4. jeffro

jeffro TS Member

shootrman:

I guess I'll have to place myself in the wimp category. I shot the .460 about 30 years ago, when I, too, was young and considered myself tough. That, and one or two subsequent bar fights, disabused me of that notion!! Interestingly though, the cartridge I fired was one of the "old" .460s which generated a little north of 8000 foot pounds of muzzle energy. I don't know exactly when the change was made, but I understand that Weatherby has actually reduced to potency of the round down to around 7500 ft./lbs., with the objective of making it more tolerable to shoot. I'm not personally going to find out, but maybe it really is a little more "user friendly" now. In any case, I'm too old and rickety to find out. I'll stick to occasionally getting kicked by cattle and horses accidentally, rather than inflicting about the same type of punishment on my body on purpose!

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

MoonBeam........Where's your adventure. Like the guy who wrote about roping a deer......That is a must read

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Steve,

Doug still gets a funny look on his face whenever that .460 is brought up in conversation. Lol.

ec90t

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A friend called me one evening and told me he wanted to sell two Weatherby rifles. Two left hand .460 Weatherby high end guns. One N.I.B. and one shot 5 times. When I inquired why since he seldom sold anything Left handed,he said that he took one to his range behind his house to try and things went south. Now this man has a range almost any rifle shooter would love to have,1000 yards with staggered backstops every 200 yards then down to 100 then 75 , 50 and 25. A large concrete bench 10 feet wide with three shooting positions. He has many big bore rifles and back then one of the first Barrett .50 cals made, no stranger to recoil . OKay now the fun begins. With express sights set at 100 yards, he touches off the first round and after a little head clearing , the rifle is out of his hands and on the rough concrete. Each shooting station is carpeted. Damn he told me he said! He was on the paper! He shot four more rounds and stared feeling funny , so in the house to lie down. He was awakened by his wife an hour later to tell him the ambulance was on the way. When asked for who, she said YOU!! The gun had ruptured blood vessels all over his left arm and shoulder. Black and Blue was his left side from the belt line to just under his ear! He was telling me all this a month later and his answer to my question was ,I am selling them because I have a .458 Win mag in case an Elephant escaped from the Zoo and he did not care to have them grace his gun vault any longer!! Jeff

8. steevo

steevo TS Member

WOW Great story, but thats sucks. I have heard that more people actually take a 375H&H or a 460BP or a .577NE to Africa for the big stuff. I guess thats why. Steve

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

if shooting a big bore rifle from the bench, consider using a sandbag between the gun and your shoulder.

10. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Many years ago when I had a gun shop I had a real good customer come in with one. He was going to Alaska Kodiak bear hunting and wanted something that would stop a pissed off bear. I was just going out to the range to shoot some rifles in for customers and he asked if he could come along. At that time the biggest thing I had ever shot or wanted to shoot was a 450 Ackley wildcat. Two shots and it did hurt but more importantly, it had iron sights. Anyway, while there he asked me to take a shot to test its zero. Being he was a eal good customer I reluctantly agreed. The first and only shot went off and besides my shoulder hurting there was something wrong with my head. The recoil had been so fierce (I only weight 150 then) that the scope had come back and enbeded itself right between my eyes. He helped pull my head back and blood shot out a mile. I was semi incoherent from the scope hitting me so that helped some but everybody was running around in a panic. They said I had a sort of goofey glazed look on my face. To this day, I still have that scar and loud noises still make me flinch.
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.