1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.45acp recomendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XTFreak, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

I am in the market for a nice full frame .45. I don't want to carry it, just target shoot.

I was under the impression the the Colt 1911 is the standard by all others are judged but after shopping around, people keep telling me to go with a Kimber.

I have always wanted a Colt Gold Cup, but is the Kimber the superior gun? Are there any others I should look at?

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you are looking for a .45 ACP in a 1911 configuration, we have a SIG STX (Custom Shop)for $1025.00 or a Colt Series 80 National Match, Stainless, for $900.00. Photos are avilable. Food for thought.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Take a look at the Springfield Loaded models. Lifetime warranty.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A local .45 gunsmith recommended a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 based on his experience with many .45s; DW has many high quality after market parts and each is hand-fitted at the factory; has features of $2K .45s at about half the price. Worth a look..mine exceeds all my expectations. Best Regards, Ed

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The shop where I work carries all the common 1911s and we have no problems with most....but the Kimbers seem to be the latest gold standard for off the rack 45s and come with a match grade barrel. They are ready to go and available in a vast array of configurations. They are not cheap unless you compare them to a mil spec that has been customized. That said, if you aren't going to shoot thousands of rounds a year and are not a bullseye competitor or a top level action competitor, take a look at the Taurus PT1911..lots of features and shoots right along with most of the stockers. It is one gun where you get a little more than the "what you pay for" price.

O.K. guys, take your shots.

6. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

If you want a really nice "Custom" full frame 1911 style call Sandy Strayer at Infinity Firearms in Grand Prairie, Texas(800-928-1911) I shoot IDPA and did shoot USPSA matches have a all black .45 Infinity single stack runs like a clock about $2000 but worth every penny. He will build you about anything you want single/multi stack. On their wed site is a link to some articles about their products. www.sviguns.com

Ben Dobson

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Colt Gold Cup and a Kimber Target Eclipse II, both of them with matching 22 lr conversion kits. PM me if you are interested. JM

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

reliability is priceless!!!!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have 2 Kimbers. One is a pro carry and the other is a Match II. Both are exceptional shooters.

10. Doubles Champ

Doubles Champ Member

I shoot a Glock 21- their full size .45 ACP. Never had a stoppage, a breeze to clean, great value. I have a new one in the box, upgraded by Glockmeister in Arizona, adj. Mepro night sites, extended magazine release, extended slide stop release, titanium guide rod, ready to go, $700.00. Call me if interested: Tom Galligher 305-664-3170.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Taurus PT-1911 is my choice dollar for dollar. Model 1911 clone. Well made with matching serialized parts, hand-fitted, Heinie sights available in stainless steel or blued, and rail frame is another option. Price well under $800.00. Has all of the options and shoots tight groups. I recommend you checking this gun out before you spend twice as much. You'll have enough money left over to buy shot, reloading equipment and so on. It's made in Brazil; by the way, my Springfield Mil-Spec 45 frame also made in Brazil if you care. Darrell

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

FYI series 80 Colts are held in less regard than series 70 by many, also Oregon Kimbers (harder to find) more than present day. That said, Kimber has some new variations not available in Oregon guns.

HM

13. bocephus

bocephus Member

Try all those listed above, then try out a Wilson, that way it will be clear why you chose the Wilson.

<a href=http://www.wilsoncombat.com>Wilson Combat</a>

Another good choice would be a Les Baer

<a href=http://www.lesbaer.com/1911s.html>Les Baer</a>

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

XTF, don't be afraid of a Gold Cup National Match Series 80. If you decide you don't like the extra firing pin safety you can remove the lever and the plunger and reassemble the gun in less than 90 seconds. That's the difference between the 70 and 80 series.

15. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you ever decide to experiment with a non-1911 format, take a hard look at the H.K. Elite. Incredible target .45!!! John

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Look at the S&W 1911 and the SIG 1911. Both about as good as factory 1911's get. Don't waste your $ on current Colt 1911s. Beyond that there are many custom makers that will make what ever you ask for but they price accordingly.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The standard is a Colt-- sure there are some custom guns better but there are a lot of worse 45s.

I am not sure if the opinions bad mouthing Colt are based on fact or something someone heard or politics but I dont see it.

With a Kimber you can possibly get many of the features you might to add already included- they have a lot of models--- take a look at the Kimber line- and they are more than reasonably priced.

If price isnt really important- consider a Wilso.

18. jwells

jwells Member

wilson.

19. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I have a Kimber. I love it. It's dead on, and I've never had a single bit of trouble from it. Mine has the dual-sided safety, which is awesome with my being a lefty. Everything on it is easily reachable for a southpaw. I've never shot a Colt, but I did have problems with the Sig.

20. Battue

Battue Member

I would like to throw STI into the mix. They have premium features at a price that will not make you choke. I am totally satisfied with mine and the 9mm 1911 that I have seems to be a favorite with my friends to take for their CCW registration, who only own small frame pistols.

Their distributors had what I was looking for in stock, at less than MSRP.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.