1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? 45ACP loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerry944t, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have some excellent loads for 200gr and 185gr bullets but they ARE SWC designs. Why the no semi wadcutter statement?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have never seen a wadcutter .45

Must be something new?

I do use the 200 gr SWC though.

Don

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Even Google can't find any . . .

"Your search - "45 acp wadcutter bullets" -semi - did not match any documents."

Neil

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Have to be a real slick feed ramp to handle a full WC.

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Lots of powders work great in the 45 like Bullseye, 231, clays, and unique for warmer loads.

Most any 12 gauge trap shotgun powder you have in stock will work for paper just consult the powder manufactures web site for complete data.

The latest "cool aid" powder is Solo 1000 among the steel shooters due to less smoke.

Just google "45 acp accuracy loads" I did that last year and came up with a list of loads that the 50 yard paper punchers were using, I printed them out and don't know where they are right now.

I think the most used bullet for accuracy was the 185 swc.

I have always used 200 gr swc cast.

hope this helps.

tom

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Never heard of a .45 acp wadcutter; don't think these exist as too short to feed properly. Semi-wadcutters and round nose are what you would usually see. I use Green Dot in my cast bullet loads and not knowing the weight that you're using I'll not specify the grains (charge). I use the 200 & 230 grain bullet weights and have not loaded any 185's. I also keep my loads light and have used a lighter recoil spring in my 1911-type pistol. The light loads are very accurate, does not lead the barrel and makes it pleasant to shoot as many as you like. Darrell

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have seen a .44 'Hillbilly' wadcutter. Take .40 S&W cases pour full of lead then load flush seated in .44 mag or special cases. Sounds pretty hoakey but they do a number on bowling pins.

8. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

CLASSIC LOAD FOR MILITARY BULLSEYE SHOOTERS. 3.8 GRAINS BULLSEYE WITH A 200 GRAIN SEMI-WADCUTTER. HG68 STYLE MOLD-RICK ZINO

PS SEAT BULLET WITH ABOUT 1/32" OF LEAD BULLET SHOULDER EXPOSED FROM MOUTH OF CASE.

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

+1 to what Tolipnug said.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ray, like most here say, they have not heard of a full wadcutter for a .45. Neither have I. I do shoot 200 gr. SWC with a load of 3.9 gr. of Bullseye and it works real sweet. I think it is somewhere around 850 fps.
    By the way the Vandalia disks are on the way. Mike

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Been loading and shooting 45acp for fifty years and have not seen a full wadcutter. I do use a great bullet which cuts a full size hole, slams pins down like a sledgehammer, and is accurate also. RCBS 255 Kt (keith 255 grain semi wadcutter with a large meplat) over about 5.5 grains Unique.

I keep hearing people tell me they can make a 1911 feed empty cases so I guess if there were such a thing as a wadcutter bullet for the 45 it could be made to feed...I just have a healthy amount of skepticism.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There was a 220 grain almost wad cutter bullet designed for the 45 Long Colt.. Worked well in 45 Auto Rim too.. 4.5 grains of Unique.. Would not feed in a 45 Auto.. worked well in a revolver.. last time I saw the bullet was 30 years ago..

13. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

YOU CAN BUY JACKETED 185GR. WADCUTTERS FROM FEDERAL-THEY ARE NOT COMPLETELY FLAT BUT CLOSE-BUT WHY WOULD YOU WHEN 185 AND 200 GR. SWC LEAD ARE READILLY AVAILABLE AND EASIER TO FEED-RICK ZINO

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Once you start breathing lead dust in an indoor range.. you'll quickly understand the reason for jacketed bullets..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

255 grain 45acp unique loads