1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????? 45ACP loads followup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Since we have some expert 45 ACP guys here, I have a question. I want to start loading my own practice rounds. I have a press set up for highpower rifle. Can I use the same press (RCBS)and get some 45ACP dies? Is there any special words of wisdom or books/videos available with the info I need to do it right?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Use the same press just change and set your dies. Hope you have a Rockchucker. Mike.
    Words of wisdom buy the carbide dies you can eliminate the case lube part of reloading.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On 45 ACP.. get carbide.. but also..get a 4 die set..the last die being a taper crimp die.. You'll get much better target ammo.. Also.. if you keep brass for a while.. I'd invest in a file trim die to keep the case length correct.. 45 ACP loads like any other rifle round.. Just 2 extra dies.. Also.. the Lee priming tool makes priming quicker and easier.. Let me know if I can be of any more help.. All Good.. Mike

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Ditto on the taper crimp die. I've been trimming just about everything with a Forster hand cranked trimmer for thirty or more years and just became a probably temporary convert to the Lee zip trim. Don't know how long it will last but I can trim, deburr, and polish a case in the time it takes me to put a case in the Forster and tighten the collet.

You will get a better group, more reliable feeding, and the same full size hole in the target with a semi-wadcutter as a full. The only reason we went to wadcutters in the first place in revolvers was to get a full size hole in the target and squeeze a few more points out of those rounds that were "on the line"...if it cuts into the line you get the higher score. Round nose bullets didn't cut a full size hole. Semis do, just like the fulls. You don't need the aggravation of trying to find, cast, load, and getting to feed with a full wadcutter in the acp.

Nuff said.

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Little hint; set up your seat die on a factory round that has the same shape as what you intend to reload. Also, make sure that the taper die is set to assure proper loading in your respective gun barrel; I have a match barrel that is extremely tight in the chamber. For example, if a shell (45 acp) measures .474 (right below the bullet and at the case mouth) the gun (M-1911) will not fully feed the round. I use a light recoil spring and that could contribute to not feeding the round; now, if I correct the taper die to taper to .472, it feeds properly all day. Also, when you reload, try to sample some of your rounds to assure everything is okay. Nothing worse than loading 500 rounds and discover an error 6 months from now. Since you load rifle, the 30-06 (amonst others such as .270, 25-06, etc.) shell holder is the same as the .45 acp; may not need to purchase a new shell holder. Good reloading. Darrell

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Since we have some expert 45 ACP guys here, I have a question. I want to start loading my own practice rounds. I have a press set up for highpower rifle. Can I use the same press (RCBS)and get some 45ACP dies? Is there any special words of wisdom or books/videos available with the info I need to do it right?

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Use the same press just change and set your dies. Hope you have a Rockchucker. Mike.
    Words of wisdom buy the carbide dies you can eliminate the case lube part of reloading.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On 45 ACP.. get carbide.. but also..get a 4 die set..the last die being a taper crimp die.. You'll get much better target ammo.. Also.. if you keep brass for a while.. I'd invest in a file trim die to keep the case length correct.. 45 ACP loads like any other rifle round.. Just 2 extra dies.. Also.. the Lee priming tool makes priming quicker and easier.. Let me know if I can be of any more help.. All Good.. Mike

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Ditto on the taper crimp die. I've been trimming just about everything with a Forster hand cranked trimmer for thirty or more years and just became a probably temporary convert to the Lee zip trim. Don't know how long it will last but I can trim, deburr, and polish a case in the time it takes me to put a case in the Forster and tighten the collet.

You will get a better group, more reliable feeding, and the same full size hole in the target with a semi-wadcutter as a full. The only reason we went to wadcutters in the first place in revolvers was to get a full size hole in the target and squeeze a few more points out of those rounds that were "on the line"...if it cuts into the line you get the higher score. Round nose bullets didn't cut a full size hole. Semis do, just like the fulls. You don't need the aggravation of trying to find, cast, load, and getting to feed with a full wadcutter in the acp.

Nuff said.

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Little hint; set up your seat die on a factory round that has the same shape as what you intend to reload. Also, make sure that the taper die is set to assure proper loading in your respective gun barrel; I have a match barrel that is extremely tight in the chamber. For example, if a shell (45 acp) measures .474 (right below the bullet and at the case mouth) the gun (M-1911) will not fully feed the round. I use a light recoil spring and that could contribute to not feeding the round; now, if I correct the taper die to taper to .472, it feeds properly all day. Also, when you reload, try to sample some of your rounds to assure everything is okay. Nothing worse than loading 500 rounds and discover an error 6 months from now. Since you load rifle, the 30-06 (amonst others such as .270, 25-06, etc.) shell holder is the same as the .45 acp; may not need to purchase a new shell holder. Good reloading. Darrell

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you like wadcutters then a S&W Model 52 is a target auto that shoots 38 special wadcutters. HMB

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Above good info. Kind of new to 45ACP loading. Loading JHC 185 gr
    with 4.5 Grs 700X. Soft shooting and more accurate that I am.
    Can't stress too much checking your loads to see feeding and accurate
    before load a bunch. Regardless of loading book measurements, your
    1911 may like something just a little different.

Doyal

13. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

If you need to polish or change the shape of the feed ramp, bring the gun to a gunsmith WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING! I saw a website that showed photos of receivers that were butchered and were only good for being paperweights. Once you screw up the feed ramp, then it is expensive to weld some material and grind it down properly.

Another reason to test fire a semi-auto before buying it.

Carmine

PS: The S&W m39 is a sweet gun to shoot.

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Stumpstalker, the model 39 is a 9mm and does not shoot wadcutters. As mentioned the model 52 is the gun that Smith makes for wadcutters.

15. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Everyone has their favorite methods, but, I have never had to trim 45acp brass. There might be some brass out there that is too long but I have not run into any. I have about 4000 mixed cases that I have loaded at least 10 times each and none have gotten any longer. Trim if you need to but likely you won't need it. Use the taper crimp die of course.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to trim 45 brass to the proper length. 45ACP headspaces in the chamber on the front edge of the case. HMB

17. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Actually the experts on the 1911 forum never trim 45ACP brass as it is a low pressure straight walled case. They claim the if anything the brass will shorten slightly with use.

I have never had to trim those cases and the brass seems to last forever. I have never had one not chamber because of length of case but I have had some failures to feed if the bullet wasn't seated to the proper depth.

Typically for a 200 grain SWC bullet the over all length of the cartridge (OAL)should be about 1.250 inches.

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you're like me.. and scrounge brass from everywhere.. you'll find some brass that needs trimming.. I only know of formed brass with a neck shortening on the first firing.. then in time they all get longer.. As the pressure sticky the thinner brass to the chamber.. the rear of the brass wants to flow back.. True.. low pressure flows slower than high pressure.. But they all get longer in time.. If the chamber was a bit towards the max. length instead of the min. length.. It might be quite some time till you needed to trim brass..

19. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Howdy,
    Check out the DILLON SQUARE DEAL PRESS.
    You can get it set up for almost any pistol cal. $349.95
    If you load other cal. look at the RL550b.
    The 550 is great for pistol and rifle calibers. I think it is the best one for using for working up loads and them mass producing them. If you have loads all worked up then the 650 is the way to go. Working up loads on the 650 takes a little time with doing the powder adjustments and seating depth.

But you can almost shoot all week (or all month ) long with a few hours of reloading.
    800- 223-4570 or www.bluepress.com
    THEY HAVE A NO BS WARRENTY!!! IT IS THE BEST !!!
    IF YOU HAVE A PROLBLEM THEY ARE THEIR TO HELP AND THEY DO !!!
    I have scratched 2 size dies and they were replaced with no prolblems or questions asked! And a few other small parts. when they replace some of the small parts they often send more than one depending on the part. They also have a spare parts kit they sell. It has almost everything you would need to keep the machine running untill the replacement parts arrive.

I have had one of their first a RL300. A friend still has it and it works great at about 25 years old. I have had a RL 550 and now have a RL600 and a SL 900 12 ga.
    Best reguards
    Tom

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ditto Dillon.. I'm still loading on a pair of 1000's.. BUT.. I still use the old A-2 RCBS all the time for case trimming..and single operations.. The Hornady progressive press I use for case forming 38/45 from 45 ACP brass..then run them thru the Dillon to load.. On the shell's I don't have a Dillon 1000 set up for.. The old A-2 still performs flawlessly.. I would get a case tumbler to clean up donated brass.. Your steel dies will last longer.. Carbide will never wear out on a hand operated press.. The Camdex,after many millions of rounds finally cracked the carbide insert.. And I mean millions.. Dillon is still the best.. nicest people to buy reloading equipment from.. but I must say.. I load shotgun shells on a P/W 800+.... I perfer it to the 900.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.