1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

454 Casull Q

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TALLEND, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Does anyone remember the original load for the 454 Casull?

I know it was a "triplex"load(3 different powders stacked)

I have a Encore 15" in 454 Casull;with factory ;oads it does speak with authority.

Thanks,Tom

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I would think any load from any good current loading manual with like H110 powder would be more than plenty with that cartridge.

No need to complicate things trying to stack 3 powders into a case.

I personally just think that is asking for trouble.

I also believe I heard the number 65,000 psi mentioned along with early .454 loads for Freedom Arms guns, in fact I heard that number from the man that makes the guns.

I don't think I want to be around 65,000 PSI in much of anything less than a Mark 5 Weatherby!

I know this doesn't answer your question but it felt good to say it.

good luck and tone that thing down, it and you, will last longer.

Randy

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The load, as reported in the newsletter written and mimeographed by Dan Cotterman for the ARA (american reloaders association)of which dad and I were members called for a starter charge of bullseye, a main charge of 2400 and a final kicker or finisher charge of Unique....all of which combined to blow up a bunch of great SAAs for mr. Casull. I do have the data but won't write it down as it is totally outrageous.

Casull's theory was that the bullseye would get the bullet started, the 2400 bring it up to near top velocity and the Unique would send it off at the highest speed possible.

We thought it looked like a recipe for disaster and, if my memory serves, didn't get the velocity that single charge loads do today.

Please don't try to duplicate what he did....or destroy any good guns.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

You think the people who develop new gun stuff are smart...and then you hear stuff like that.

5. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sheesh----------------I just wanted the original load information,to tell "the rest of the story"

I know that the present 454 case will not chamber in a 45 Colt,and that the new loads are better/safer than the original...(I shoot 45 Colt in my Encore,chambered for 454 Casull)

I also know the reason for the extra length---several fine firearms were destroyed because the uninformed(see stupid)persons put the triplex loaded ctgs in Peasemakers and other firearms that could not handle the pressure...

Thanks for your input--I think

I have been reloading for 55 years---with a 006FFL,I loaded/formed,and sold custom and obsolete ammo for several years----I never "go to the top"in any load.....

Now---back to the original question------does anybody know the exact original
    loading??

Tom

6. Savage99Stan

Bullseye, five or so grains depending on your source, 22 or so of 2400 again, depending on your source, and seven unique...mind you, this is from the late sixties where powders were a little "softer".

I disavow any authority on the accuracy of this data....although I still have a few of the mimeo sheets from Mr. Cotterman in the vault.

Chill, folks. No one wants anyone else to get hurt.

7. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Stan

Thanks---wasnt sure of the "top" powder----I thought it was Herco

Break'em all

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try the new Alliant 300MP with the 300gr Gold Dot. The data looks impressive for that powder in some magnums. A friend tried some in his 460 S&W. He was under the top load and still developed a couple hundred feet per second over his previous top loads, without any signs of undue pressures.

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Tom: I don't think anyone was questioning YOUR abilities.

The problem arises when lurkers or idiots (choose which) who never take part in a discussion and are too affraid to ask questions, AND don't understand plain english because they just "skim" read everything only once. They take that info as gospil, and forget (or don't want) to read and understand the sentence before or after that warns not to do this... (how many people do you think will read the above paragraph enough times to get everything I said?) Short Answer: not many!

You'll notice that you never see a recipe like this published in a gun magazine, even for reference. The reasons are obvious.

Once it's written it's automatically considered to be true no matter if they understand what you actually said or not. You see this in politics often, and the "not quite brights" of the land use these convoluted ideas to form opinions on how to vote. That's how Barry got elected!

I see this all the time on my posts where people respond to what "they think I said" or take offense to a phrase that they can't understand the context of. See the thread "rid Raccons"

I must say after reading what that basic load was, it scares me to even think about pulling the trigger on it. I guess that some people just have to have the biggest balls no matter what. Reminds me of the MTV show "Jackass"

There is no shortage of idiots in this world, and lots of them own guns, some even reload. I don't know how they survive,,, must be divine intervention.

Randy

10. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Randy-

I quit selling my"custom" ammo-------several years ago----

I watched a person load my custom ammo in a fine old "levergun",without

checking the barrel for

any obstruction----then after shooting it,he stated that the gun had

been "hanging up on granpas back porch for 50 years"

From that day--I have not,or will not,load any ammo for anyone but myself

Tom

11. Savage99Stan

I'm sure he tried more than just those loads, all of which were quite successful in blowing up SAAs.

As a side note, we had a customer a couple months ago bragging about how he could load 45 colts up to casull levels for his Judge (one of the biggest hype jobs ever foisted off on the shooting public...)...shortly after we were sending what was left of it back to Taurus, with most of top strap and top of a couple chambers missing. He swore it gave up with factory loads. Sad part is that Taurus sent him a new one.

BTW, the Judges I've inspected are poor choices if you want to shoot ball ammo...the chamber mouths mike out at .462 and up, .010 over a good size for colt accuracy...they lead like demons.

Be safe, shoot often and keep 'em together.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

mixed powder is asking for problems
    first thing how are you going to keep 3 in a case with out mixing?? next WHY and 3rd NEVER post any load on the net
    AS for the judge wait till a couple put a 444 in them. and yes they will fit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

454 casual original triplex load

casull triplex loads