1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.45 XPM or Springfield 1911 .45 ACP?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RoadKingPerazzi, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

If you had a choice between Springfield XPM or Springfield 1911 A1 Loaded in .45 ACP for home protection and general shooting fun, which would you choose? Thanks.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Those are mutually exclusive for your needs. The XDM is better for protection, the 1911 is better for fun. I would get the 1911 and something else for protection.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A good 1911 has no equal when it comes to shooting enjoyment. They are the gold standard and have been for 100 years.

ss

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

1911 hands down!

Way to many after market goodies to put into them!

5. cnsane

cnsane Member

If you're choosing an auto pistol for home defense, you'd better choose a good lawyer before you use it.

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I just absolutely love these lawyers on here! The last frigging thing I worry about is a lawyer if I have to use a gun in my home to protect mine! Tom Rhoads

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am with Tom on this one. Enough of these useless scare tactics. The person that should be scared is the one on looking down my barrel if it gets to that point. The dead bad guy on MY living room floor at 2am should not be that difficult to explain.

8. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

It's an XDM. The only thing I don't like about them personally is that if you don't keep one in the chamber, the springs are pretty strong and it is not the easiest gun to chamber a round into, particularly if you hands are sweaty, etc.
    A tac light/ laser combo attachment stays on that one for home defense. Holds almost twice as many rounds than a 1911.

9. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Right - XDM. Sorry, I was thinking about my XP-100 actions on my PD guns.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Why not use the 1911 for home defense rather than the XDM?

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 1911 to protect your home it's the absolute best in every way. But,if there is a chance that someone not well trained might use the pistol a XDM might be a better choice just because of simplicity... on the other hand anyone who might use a firearm in that way should have enough training to be competent. Everyone in my house always has known how to use every firearm on the property if they needed to, starting of course at an appropriate age.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cnsane,

Are you insane?

12. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

either is a good choice. You shouldn't need to worry about a lawyer to much if it is in your home especially if your state has the castle doctern law.

13. nmunch

nmunch TS Member

i own both and like both equally as much. i like the way my 1911 shoots more than the xdm. but thats just my opinion. either is a great choice my suggestion would be to find someone that has 'em and shoot 'em both. then make a choice.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

The 1911 has been doing a fantastic job for 101 years, why look at something else??

15. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

Got several 1911'a and XD40. Not sure how many rounds the XDM45 has but pretty sure its more than the 1911. I would go with the gun with the higher round count, and I love my 1911's. The XDM is likely a little more reliable.
    The main thing here is whatever you choose you should practice with it enough enough to be proficient with it. Shoot some competitions like IDPA. The more you shoot the better you will become. Practice until things are second nature.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I just can't agree with the round count being a big factor. If you are shooting at someone that generally means they can or have shot back, just how long do you think it will be before someone connects? It's not like on tv where you trade bullets with the baddies from behind the couch. It's going to be over before you have time to do a lot of shooting so the extra rounds won't mean anything. Not a bad thing to have extra bullets but not a deal breaker if you have at least 6 in fact most of the time it will be over in 3 or less. To my way of thinking whatever it is that you can hit the best the fastest with without even thinking is the weapon to chose whether it holds 6 or 36. And it should be powerful enough to do some damage without blinding and deafening you which brings us nicely to the good old 45acp that does it all well.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 45 Natl' Match 1911 is hard to beat for shooting fun.

A Striker driven handgun with no manual safety is hard to beat for defensive chores.

Why only get one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.