1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

45 Colt-- reloading question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Straight99, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

At 7 gr. 231 your vel. will be about 850 fps. A soft cast bullet will be better for accuracy and leading. I use 40 to 1 lead/tin for my 45 Colt cast bullets. No leading. Great groups.
    Glenn

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Winchester shows a 255 grain lead bullet with 7.1 grains of W231 for a velocity of 875 fps at 13,000 cups.

And a 250 grain 'cowboy load' with 5.5 grains at W231 for a velocity at 750 fps and 10,000 psi

They do not list a 200 grain bullet in the book I am looking at.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

That load will work okay but it will be plenty fast. One problem with loading the big .45 colt case is there is a lot of volume to take up especially when using the lighter bullets. 231/HP38 is a fairly high density powder which compounds the loading density issue further. So what happens is you may experience velocity variations that you don't really want. I wouldn't reduce the charge much because of this.

I like CLAYS or similar low density powders for this type of plinking load or better yet, I have a bunsh of .45 colt brass that I cut off to .45ACP length and I load then using .45 acp dies over a .45 colt shell plate. Call them .45 shorts or whatever but they are much more consistent than the full length case for plinking type loads.

If you get a chance, pick up some Trail Boss powder. This is exactly what it is made for.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

With that light of bullet, 231 is a good choice. If you decide to go up in bullet weight (250?) you might take a look at Unique. 7-8 grains under a 250 grain SWC will give you similar ballistics - great plinking load. I always liked 231 for smaller capacity cases - 9MM, .380, etc. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

Was supposed to go metallic shooting today, but someone handed me the hedge trimmers. Grrrr.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use Unique, but for jacketed bullets at 44 Mag velocities.

Use Trail Boss or top off your load with corn meal. Flashover is no fun.

HM

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Stop using passing fads like smokeless powder and use the powder it was meant to use - black powder!

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

I was intrigued so looked at the above site. A 200 gn. Lead Round Nose bullet is listed using Trail Boss 6.0 gn. and the comment is that it is a more complete case fill than other powders. But there are several powders and bullet weights listed.

Good shooting,

Don T

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Where is HMB to tell you :

Big case, small powder, flashover = detonation!