1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

45 Auto Magazines

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fritzboy, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

How long should you keep a 45 Auto magazine loaded and in the gun for home protection? Can the spring wear or take a set that might effect performance when it counts? Same question for other semi auto's

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Springs will 'take a set.' This does not mean they will fail, but they will loose some percent of the flex over time when compressed. Do NOT think of a piece of wood becoming more and more unstable over time - ultimately failing.
    Springs need to be 'worked' for a while - at some point the flex will be reduced, but to a fairly constant point from then onward.

I have heard of magazines left loaded since WWII which still functioned.

It has been suggested that springs should be replaced with high quality ones designed specifically for this type of use (think Wolff)and then forget about it.

Others suggest rotating through several magazines over a give period (say six magazines per year).

Your choice - that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream...

3. atashooter

atashooter Member

I too wondered about this, so I contacted the manufacturer of my magazines ( Chip Mccormick shooting star 8 rnd ) and was told it doesn't effect their mags. Anyway, thats what was said. I keep 4 mags, 1 loaded in the Gov't, others empty, and I rotate them every 4 mths, cause I just rather be safe than sorry.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've got a handful of those Chip McCormicks too. Never had a failure from them or the two Wilsons that generally ride with me......Bob Dodd

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Awhile back, I found a Wilson 8 round mag that had been 'lost' by me out in the desert for a few years. The magazine was fully loaded and exposed to the elements. Just for fun I shook the sand out of the mag and put it in my .45 and shot the ammo out - no failures. Would I bet my life on that mag working? No way.

The plan of rotating magazines and ammo every few months makes good sense even if it's not necessary. An annual dissassembly and cleaning is a good idea too. This is not something you want to leave to chance.

6. bradhe

bradhe TS Member

With high quality magazines (Wilson are the best, McCormick are good.) Just load them and forget them. You will die of old age before the magazine will go bad. More relevant is shooting one enough with your defensive ammo to make sure of function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.