1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

45 auto load

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trappertom, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

Looking for a good recipe for 230 GR FMJ (target shooting)and 185/200 Gr HP (for just in case) 45 Auto. Thanks for any information. Shooting a Taurus PT24/7Pro.

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp or accuratereloading.com

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Trapper

What kind of powder do you load for your shotguns? There is a great chance you already have a suitable powder for your needs.

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

FOR THE 200 WAD USE 3.8 GRAINS OF BULLSEYE -CLAYS ALSO WORKS WELL BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT WEIGHT-CALL THE MFG. TO GET A FREE LOADING SHEET OR LOOK IT UP ON THE NET-RICK.---PS. FOR A HARDBALL LOAD YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED A CHRONOGRAPH TO SET UP FOR A 230 GRAIN BULLET A 750 FPS.--BETTER OFF BUYONG 230 GRAIN FACTORY AT THE PROPER VELOCITY-RICK

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Agree with shooting coach....

I just started loading for 9 and 45 both and pretty much any shotgun powder out there will give decent results in these cases.

Obviously the larger (relatively) case of the 45 gives higher velocity with same pressure load using slower powders such as blue dot instead of red dot.

Happy reloading,
    Mr. Mark

6. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I'm using 4.8 Grains of Titegroup with a standard Federal primer. Chronos about 760fps in a 5" Kimber Eclispe Target II. Very consistant, accurate, and cleaner burning than Clays. Clays velocity was too low for good consistancy at its maximum recommended loads.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Now you're cooking..LOL... Is the slow steaming to stress relieve the brass for more uniform grasp on the bullets???

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All joking aside.. a 230 grain ball bullet for target??? Not.. You might consider a 185 or 200 grain semi-wadcutter.. If you load something in the 750/800 fps range I've had excellent results with Winchester 231.. Bullseye..Red Dot.... Green Dot.. and Unique.. Unique has always been my go to powder for any 45 load above a dead slow target load.. For pure target.. reduced recoil.. lighter recoil spring.. The winchester 231 meters flawlessly..and bullseye is right behind it..

Again.. all data is on line..

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

The only thing about Bulls Eye (and it's probably loaded more than any other powder for the .45) is that you could double charge a case. I always like to use something that would not allow a double charge----I'm accident prone.
    Have Fun!!!

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

For "just in case" use factory loads. There are many good defense loads on the market. Run a couple of hundred through your pistol to ensure flawless functioning and then carry those.

For target (plinking) HP 38 (WW231) burns clean and meters well as previously. Get Hodgdon's Reloading manual and enjoy.

HBT

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

BARFIN

What size ceramic mdeia and where are you getting it? if you don't mind telling....Grubby

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sarge, I run a 13 lb. spring in my Clark heavy slide W/tuner. Slide functions fine with 3.8 BE and 200 SWC I also have a George Madore build that I run a 10 lb. spring with a Ultradot attached onto slide. The Madore will amaze people even at 100 yards.

13. jimmyzee

jimmyzee TS Member

Trappertom,

I've been shooting / loading .45ACP since 1975 . . . for target my favorites are (i) 185 FMJ Hornady and 5.0 WW 231 at 1.185" overall and (ii) 200 SWC Speer and 5.0 Dupont 700-X at 1.225" overall . . . for defense you might try (i) 200 JHP Speer and 6.0 Hercules Green Dot at 1.195" overall and (ii) 230 FMJ-FP Hornady and 8.5 Hercules Blue Dot at 1.205" overall . . . I know Dupont and Hercules are gone but I'm quoting my original data from "the day" . . . Sarge, IMO, Blue Dot worked well for me with heavy bullets like the 230 FMJ-FP Hornady . . . and in case anyone has any WW 630 in stock you can try 11.0 with the 230 bullet at the same 1.205" overall length I used for the Blue Dot load . . . good shooting . . . my guns ? Colt Gold Cup, Colt Combat Commander (accurized) and a Browning BDA.

James Zakowski

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hi Sarge.. No.. I never heard of a EIC match?? what is it?? When I hear target shooting.. I'm thinking 4.5 Unique and a 200 grain Semi-wad cutter..I'm just building them.. and shooting them.. For target..to get the fit and function perfect I never shoot full power ball ammo.. Always lighter shells.. If ball is required.. I change the recoil spring to 16/19 pound.. at the end.. and run 25 thru the gun..just to make sure all is OK.. I've never considered power factor for target use.. Now.. the combat shoots..I'm set up for full power loads and my friends furnish me 300 rounds of there ammo to tune things up.. I guess my error was thinking he was just punching paper.. I should have asked first.. All Good.. Mike

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sarge, My heavy slide Clark is built on a Colt series 70 in Keithville, LA. 71047 It was sent back to him in Aug. 1988 for a tune up. No Springfield Armory gun here.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thanks 221.. With pistols.. I'm learning how to build them.. Enjoy shooting them.. but have not shot a pistol match in over 25 years.. All Good.. Mike

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Try 4.5 gr. of Green Dot; works for me for both the 230 & 185 gr. bullets. Darrell

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've been waiting for a revalation here..but none has come out.. The one thing I know for sure.. is that in pistol shells..Many guns are very pickey about what the shoot really well with.. and what bullet they perfer.. the length of the throat..and how far you seat the bullet in.. or out has alot to do with getting the best accuracy out of your pistol.. Also.. on the 1911.. the foot of the barrel fitting correctly.. and the length of the link has alot to do with it also..
    For strictly paper punching..Bullseye probably has won more matches than all other combined..but I have found Unique to be a GREAT 45ACP all around powder..with HP-38/231 being runner up..

Red Dot has done well..and Herco.. I've not yet loaded Blue Dot in a 45.. but it does excellent in my 10mm and 40 S&W.. I have some 357 Sig loaded with Blue Dot.. ready to be shot.. If anyone is interested.. I'll report back to you how it did.. All Good.. Mike BTW Anyone know who has pistol primers for sale???? I can't seem to find ANY... Anywhere... Thanks.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.