1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

45 acp squibs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickk55, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickk55

rickk55 Member

I have been loading .45 acp's on a Dillon Square Deal with Clays Powder and have been getting squib loads. Thinking the powder is not metering properly. Have some 700x. Is 700x a finer powder than clays? Does anyone have any ideas on this subject? thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is your press grounded inorder to eliminate static electricity? Are you checking the weight of the powder drops with a scale? HMB

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I load all my 45 acp and other handguns single stage so I cannot help you if it is a loader problem! However, trust me, 700 x will not meter as well as clays! 231 would be better than both! However, if truly a squibb, (meaning no or very little powder) I suspect a loader/technique issue! The nice thing about single staging, there is no excuse for a squibb as you should/would look into the cases after loading a block of them! Tom Rhoads

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe try crimping 'em a little more!!

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

700x seems just a bit flakier and coarser than Clays. What charge weight are you running?

6. rickk55

rickk55 Member

How do I gound my reloader. Thanks for the info on 700x, will probably use up the clays I have in the reloader and try the 251.

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Get a fabric softener sheet. (these are the kind that go into the clothes dryer.) Cut a 1" wide strip of this and tape one end to the cover of your dillon powder reservoir. Make sure not to have it cover the powder drop area. The softener will eliminate static cling and the powder will flow like mercury. One strip will last for a few years. Give this a try.

Also please make sure your cadence or speed of operation is always the same on the handle.

The grounding idea is good. All presses should be grounded.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can also run a copper wire from you press to the nearest water pipe. HMB

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When the press handle is in the down position, is the powder measure bar completely over to the stop? This is an adjustment of the powder funnel die.

When the press handle is in the full up position, is the fail-safe rod pulling the powder measure bar completely back to the opposite stop? The blue wingnut has a tendency to unwind, resulting in the bar not getting filled.

When you finish reloading, do you leave powder in the powder measure? Don't know about Clays, but 700X likes to "cake", and sitting in the measure for long periods of time aggravates this, resulting in short drops. I know the powder measure is kind of ornery to take off and empty, but it's less aggravating than squib loads. It doesn't hurt to shake up the "keg" before filling the measure either.

If none of these tips help, try the dryer sheet (I do that too) and/or the grounding ideas above. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bob Falfa has pretty well covered it but one thing I do before starting a loading session is to empty the powder tube back into the jug of powder that I'm working on and shake it up real well to break up the 'caking' that may have formed - then refill the powder tube.

I also think your powder bar may not have been fully returning after every press stroke as Bob suggested.

CLAYS powder should work just fine in this application but the ball powders like 231/HP38 do flow better.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

May want to consider a die that will alert you of any problems. I have replaced the plastic powder tube on my RCBS powder measure with a short piece of tail pipe (steel). I don't have my press gounded but I have not had any squib loads to date. I also manually turn the turrent on my Rock Chucker Piggyback system versus the auto feature. This allows me to see inside of the .45 case prior to the start of the bullet seat taper crimp die. I used primarily Green Dot powder and I shake the container prior to dumping it in the powder drop. I believe the steel tube is far superior to the see thru plastic for the powder tube. If you choose to do this, add a thread and I'll tell you how to avoid letting the tube running dry. BT100dc

12. rickk55

rickk55 Member

great tips, thanks so much, will check the charge bar, and work on grounding. do you tape the fabric softner sheet to the inside of the powder tube? I do leave my powder in the tube and not sure how I could get it out on the dillon square deal. I shoot a revolver and some 1911's , so trying to get a light load that will cycle the 1911's and then shoot in the revolver also. Loaded 50 rounds today and didn't get a squib, but it was close, lots of light loads mixed in with regular strength loads. a real puzzle to me, but will check what you guys have told me tomorrow and see if things improve. Thanks again.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What load? I have excellent success with 3.4 gr ClayDot (clays clone) and a 185 gr swc (cast).

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"Get a fabric softener sheet. (these are the kind that go into the clothes dryer.) Cut a 1" wide strip of this and tape one end to the cover of your dillon powder reservoir. Make sure not to have it cover the powder drop area. The softener will eliminate static cling and the powder will flow like mercury. One strip will last for a few years. Give this a try."

Does the fabric softener sheet go inside or outside the powder measure ?

If inside, should it hang in the center of the powder measure or along the side of the plastic ?

A picture of your setup would be appreciated.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hammer1, I think the dryer sheet idea is worthless but to answer your question, the sheet would have to be on the inside of the powder measure.

16. BigM-Perazzi

I attach the dryer sheet to the outside of the plastic tube, grounded to the electrical outlet...

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Lots of good tips above. I do like the way clays shoots in the .45 for target loads. You are probably loading about 4.2 gr of clays. That makes for a pretty small opening on the powder slide. I use TiteGroup or Win231 on the progressive press. The smaller the flakes, the less likely to bridge. Also, keeping the measure as full as possible seems to help push everything through. Good Luck

18. larryx

larryx Member

Lots of good answers above.
    I tried Clays for Bullseye shooting in the 70s, same as you inconsistent drops.
    It is very very accurate when scaled but a hassle. Went back to Bullseye powder 3.5 indoors 3.7 long line.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi , you kinda proved my point. You probably think it helps but putting the dryer sheet on the outside will have no effect on the inside surface of the plastic, it isn't possible. Plastic is not a conductor so static only exists on the surface. You could wipe down the inside of the powder tube with the dryer sheet to remove static on the inside of the plastic if a few flakes on the plastic bothers you.

I certainly would not ground my loader to an electrical outlet. Most likely, you are grounding your loader every time you touch it.

Next time you see powder stuck to the side of a hull because of static, ground it and see if the powder falls off. It won't.

20. BigM-Perazzi

Johnny, I blow my nose with it. makes me feel better...

and Johnny, it sure does!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.