1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.45 acp recommendation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Looking for a .45 acp for a carry gun---choices are open, mag capacity at least 10 & as light as possible-cost is not a factor--leaning twds a Sig, but would consider a XD or a Kimber- I want a reliable DA pistol that I can fit with a Crimson Trace.

Lou

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

XD, by all means if you don't want a 1911 platform. XD beats Glock in my book due to the grip safety. At least you have to try harder to shoot yourself in the butt with the XD. Had one in 40. Good ergonomics, fair accuracy, reliable. Personally, I'd prefer a compact 1911 for carry, but here in Rodinois, we don't have the option.

3. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

Lightest would probably be a Glock Model 21 Slim Frame(my first choice). Heckler Koch USP Elite or Expert would be my second choice. Sig P220 would be my third.

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I carry a Glock 30 and would not change!..If you want a smaller one try the Glock 36 not a double stack grip.....Grubby

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The Sig new P250 will be available soon in 45ACP. I have the 250 in 40S&W 14 shot. It comes in 3 frame sizes, frames are about $60 each. Gun sells for about $580.

6. bambambam

bambambam Member

Kimber,if you want capable of 14 rounds and accurate.

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Glack 30, night sights and lazer sight if you want.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Did a little research on the Glock 30--its not legal in Ca. & Ma. that makes it a plus--Wilson is to damn heavy for a casual carry gun. Wilson is great for the range. but I would not want to wear it on my old arthrtic hips .

Lou

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

635 G - Any particular reason for not carrying a 1911 Commander or Officer's model? It doesn't rise to 10 shots, but they're considerably lighter, and both will load 7+1. The profile of the 1911 is thinner than Glock, HK, XD, or Sig. Carried in the proper manner (locked, cocked, 1 in the chamber), it's very reliable, and there is less chance of pulling off target with a long DA pull.

I was taught that if you didn't hit your target within 8 shots, it would be unlikely that you'd hit it with any more.

Best,
    Dennis

10. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I carry a G30 and I would buy another in a heart beat.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You will really have to go to a range and try many guns. 10 rounds or more on a 45 is heavy. I loved my S&W 1911, a bit harder to conceal, Have you considered the 4000 series of smith and wessons? they are DA/SA which I like for carry. Its a committment to pull that first shot. I have the early model 4013TSW non tac rail. Compact? How about the warthawg from para ordinace. So far because of hand size double stack thick grips are out for me. There is also the M&P pistol from S&W. I still like the 1911 style easy for me to grip and get on target. glocks are great if they fit you, I am just not comfortable with one. From a non concealed holster a lot of guns are very good. but when holding tight against your body, well you gotta find a good holster and the right angle ect ect.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dennis,

I was taught that if you missed with the fist 6 get out of town, fast. HMB

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

H.K. USP hands down... John

14. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Glock 30,
    Sonny Daniels

15. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I knew a cop who carried a single stack .45. Said he was razzed by the wonder 9 guys about only having 8 shots. He said if 8 shots of ACP didn't stop a guy, he could do whatever he wanted as far as he was concerned.

You're going to do whatever you want, but IMO a 10 shot 45 makes a big, heavy carry. I've shot an XD 45 and wasn't all that impressed with it. I never saw the sense of the grip safety, as most people who shoot themselves are in fact holding the pistol. I thought the XD was a little too tall - the bore seemed too high above the grip. Just seemed big and clunky - and made in Croatia?

I've never owned a Glock - until the 22 I bought last week. Boy, what a gun. Simple, reliable, clean lines, light. Guess I'm a convert.

16. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

The XD series combines the features of three pistols. It has the grip safety and grip angle of the 1911 series, is striker fired and polymer framed like the Glocks and takes down like the Sigs.

I have owned and fired several .45 ACP pistols ranging from a Colt Combat Commander (was my carry gun for 10 plus years) to a Para P-14, a Glock 21, and two HK's (one USP and one Match). Still have four of the above, gave the Colt to my oldest son. Love the .45 and prefer to carry 10 rounds.

Good advise above to shoot any and all that you can to find out what pistol suits you best. I am sure there are guys at the local range that would let you shoot a few rounds if they knew what you were trying to accomplish.

Good luck in your search.

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Go to dealer(s) and handle (shoot if possible) .45s you are considering. Glocks and Springfield XDs have an excellent reputation, but I wound up with a S&W M&P 40 simply because it fit and felt better in my hand with the grip insert (large) and the radius of the trigger of the S&W was far more comfortable (subjective) than the other two. It shoots great and the trigger seems much better (for me). To carry a .45 presents a challenge re: size...perhaps a compact is the way to go, but then recoil becomes an issue. You have to do your homework and check them all out. Best Regards, Ed

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II in stainless,,,,3 inch barrel and never had a hitch,,,,was a joy to carry,,,,7 round mag with one in back pocket,,,,went to a WC Commander which was 8 +1,,,,also carried well although heavier.

I personally found the 1911 frame to be very easy to conceal and with a GOOD holster and belt wearable all day long.

Changed to the Glock 19 15 +1 with this one,,,,although I do miss the 1911 once in a while.

I found less in the mag and one in my back pocket was more comfortable. You may also find that many rounds on your side will get heavy as the day goes along and the less with a backup mag, flat like the 1911's make it much easier,,,,I also like a backup mag in case something goes wrong with the installed mag....

Best of luck in your search.

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

What are you all going to do with that auto if you have to shoot from under a coat? Good luck and make you will now. A wheel gun dont care where you have to shoot from. rick

20. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

For .45 my favorite far and away was the Springfield. Fit perfect and shot even better. For carry, I have a Sig P228 that I used in my carry days. Nobody will ever get it out of my hands. I have never found a Sig I didn't like to shoot. If I had to go back to carry, I would seriously look at the new Sig. But carry weapons are like.... everyone has an opinion. Get what works well for you. Personally, the Beretta and Glock don't fit me well and I am not comfortable shooting them. I really like the HK, but for the money I'll take the Sig. As I said, what works for you...

Hal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.