1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.45 ACP Recipe Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm getting ready to load for the first time .45ACP rounds for my new S&W 1911.

I have Bullseye, 185 LSWC (MB 452185S), lg primers

I just looked at the Alliant reloading manual on their site and found only the following formulas listed:

45 Auto:
    Bullet - 185 gr Speer GDHP | 200 gr Speer GDHP | 200 gr Speer LSWC | 230 gr Speer GDHP | 230 gr Speer LRN | 230 gr Speer TJM RN |

There is no mention of 185 gr LSWC. What gives?

Guy Babin

2. larryjk

larryjk Member

Look up Hodgdon powder on google and they will have some 185 data.

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

4.0 to 4.5 of Bullseye should cycle the gun if held firmly. You might want to try a Wolff reduced power spring pack.

I have been using 5.0 Unique with a 200 SWG (HG68) as of late. One hole groups out of my 945. 231 is another old school powder I like.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Use 3.9 g of your Bullseye. Bulge.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Guy, Looking at my 45th Edition Lyman book 185gr cast with Bullseye: 3.5gr=778fps, Max 4.9gr=966fps. Accuracy load is listed as 4.9gr.

The exact powders and weight is listed for 185gr jacketed bullet only difference is a little slower velocity. Bullet weight is all you really need to be concerned about. The light slugs are a lot of fun if they feed ok.

6. rocko

rocko Member

4.0gr was my favorite with the 185. An old Alliant book has 5.4 gr with the 185 LWC @ 985 fps and 15800 psi. I would stay below 5gr of Bullseye.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Unless way over-sized, lead bullets will give less pressure than jacketed. So a load that is safe for jacketed bullets will be fine for cast.

Start with 3.5 gr of Bullseye. If you get failure to cycle, up by .2 gr until it cycles. Or get a reduced recoil spring.

Don Verna

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don has it right. I liked using a light spring and 3.5 grains of bullseye. HMB

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I agree with the others that 4.0 grains of Bullseye is a great load. All my 45's function fine with this load but they all have 12 to 14lb recoil springs.

Lately I've been reloading 45ACP with Clays powder. The advantage is that I have a lot of it and it's far cleaner than Bullseye. I use 3.8 to 4.0 grains of Clays.

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Second the use of Clays, I use it in .40, .45 and .38, clean and reliable.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I will third the clays for the .45. Works great and no feeding issues whatsoever with a standard spring. Jeff

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've been shooting some nice reloads using Titegroup (I reload 12ga shells for my buddy and he reloads me .45's). That stuff rocks in my .45!

ss

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you already have Bullseye, try 4 grains. Make sure your ammo is loaded to correct length. Some Autos are right picky about feeding wadcutters.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks for the inputs all.

It sounds like I may need to order lighter springs as I believe my factory spring is a 16. What are the pitfalls of running 230gr factory loads while using a lighter spring that runs light loads well?

Is there a happy medium that will reliably run both? I understand that some trial and error may be necessary. What spring weights should I buy?

I bought Bullseye thinking it was the most popular acp powder out there... it now seems that maybe it isn't for light loads...

Thanks again all,

Guy

15. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Guy,
    Bullsye will work great for light loads. It was THE powder everyone used to shoot. A happy medium is a 200LSW with 3.9 to 4.2 grains. It should work a stock spring. Adjust your powder until the brass just hops out the port a few feet. Both Bullsey & Unique have been somehow made to shoot cleaner in the last few years.

Using 230g ball with a 12 lb spring might crack your frame, plus recoil is sharp from the impact of the slide.

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

There is nothing at all wrong with Bullseye. It was the gold standard with Bullseye shooters, and for most, still is.

I just started using Clays because I can not detect any accuracy differences and it is cleaner. It's also available in my house since I use it for shot-shell reloading.

Using full house loads with a reduced spring is not a good idea for the reasons mentioned by Brent. On the other hand you might get lucky and have the reduced loads function a hardball spring. If it doesn't work no damage will result.

Swapping out a spring is very easy. I know plenty of guys who get to the range, put in a softer spring and shoot light loads all day. Then they put in their 16lb spring, reload with their personal protection loads, and off they go.

Remember you can harm the gun with a too light spring but you won't hurt it with a too stiff spring, it just won't function. Each gun seems to be a law unto itself.

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Forget the 185 grain bullet and go with the 200 grain
    H&G 68 style.

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Sky buster,

Noted but why? Please explain.

Guy

19. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Usually a 200 grain bullet along the classic Hensley & Gibbs #68 style will feed better out of a stock gun and magazines.

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

With thousands of rounds through my Gold Cup i may have had 3 or 4 misfeeds with that H&G bullet. It cuts nice clean holes also. Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

185 grain gdhp 231

speer 200 gr lswc for sale