1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.45 acp load for shooting 2x4's in half

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickk55, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickk55

rickk55 Member

.45 acp load for shooting 2x4

My gun club is having a 2x4 shoot, anyone ever participate in one and what would be a good load. I have several 1911's and 625 revolver. Thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    FMJ tends to go through wood with minimal damage, and hollowpoints often clog up with wood making them act like FMJ.

You might look into a bowling pin bullet. They have serrated teeth to dig into bowling pins. I'm thinking that might chew up a 2x4 pretty well.

The only other bullet that I think have merit are wadcutters per Eddie's suggestion or flat nose in a semi-jacketed or truncated cone.

3. Reinz

Reinz Member

I've done these shoots before. It seems that it usually came down to two teams in the end who was the most accurate more so than taking more meat out.

4. rickk55

rickk55 Member

thanks for the tips, never heard of bowling pin bullets, anyone know where to order them, would love to see what they look like, and I do shoot bowling pins oncea month. thanks

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

rickk55:

Here's an example. Mash the link for more...

sissy

recoilsissy_2008_0303_156.jpg

recoilsissy_2008_0303_157.jpg

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What's a "2x4" shoot? Sounds like fun, please describe.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have shot post challenges, I assume the 2 X 4 match is the same. You shoot at a piece of lumber with one end planted in the ground until you knock it over, the top has to be on the ground, not just leaning over to stop the clock. No limit on bullets, just race the clock. Accuracy is everything, you cannot cut it in 1/2 unless you can place the bullets so they act like a saw. We shot 4 X 4 with three man teams. Three guys try to saw it off near the ground. When it is nearly cut through, the middle guy, usually with a heavy bullet .45 load, starts shooting near the top like a sledge hammer while the side guys keep sawing the bottom. Pretty fun way to burn a lot of ammo in a hurry.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to what we used to do as kids with our .22's. We would shoot at saplings in the fence row and try and cut them in half. This sounds like the big boy version. :)

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We use to do that with sections of 4x4 s. The .45 acp is deffinately the king fo this and use what ever ammo shoots good and cycles well in your gun. 230 grain ball is a better choice than some of the lighter bullets that don't penetrate as well. The trick is to shoot a string of rounds in a nice horizontal line and have a partner(s) that can do the same. Should be able to cut the board down with a single magazine from two shooters. Well aimed shots get the job done much better than spray and pray.

10. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Those old Speer flying ashtrays might get the job done. The new versions are in the Gold Dot line.

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Lead 200 SWC, LOADED BACKWARDS

Match guns will feed that well

You need less powder due to the reduced case volume so don't start with max loads or even typical target loads, drop it 1/2 to 1/4 grain for Bullseye and test them first.

regards

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

What distance do you shoot this match at?We have been looking for a new match to shoot.This sounds like fun.

Darr

13. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

I use a 255 grain HP filled with with cooper works great on bowling pins

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Walker--Colt 44. They were the first Magnum's, and were designed to knock down a Comanche's horse at 100 yards.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The best thing for a 2x4 shoot is something you would never think about. 12 ga with slug's. It will cut a 2x4 in half with well placed shots. I have don't it many times.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rickk55, here is a link for an outstanding 45 acp bowling pin bullet. http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

The 230 grain TCBB truncated cone bullet is awesome. The 225 grain WCBB has a much wider meplat and will do more damage. However, it is hard on the frames of 1911 pistols. Choose your recoil spring correctly. It should be fine in your revolver.

The 270 grain Thunderhead is an interesting bullet, but I'm not sure if it is usable for 45 ACP. You can call Penn Bullets for loading info on any of these bullets.

Now, if the idea is to knock the 2x4 over and onto the ground, I'd use the 230 truncated cone bullet in a 1911. However, if the idea is to cut it in half, I'd use this bullet, the 152 grain SWCBB. It is low speed stable, but you want to push it 1100fps or higher. You want to splinter that wood, not bore holes in it.

Now, if you want to shoot jacketed I'd recommend the Federal Premium Tactical HST 230 grain unit in standard or +P. These bullets seem to expand in anything.

17. jlicquia

jlicquia Member

10mm in a Glock 20 will split 2 x 4s in half loaded with 220 or 240 gr. Gold Dots. See Youtube videos of same combination splitting concrete blocks in half.

18. jlicquia

jlicquia Member

10mm in a Glock 20 will split 2 x 4s in half loaded with 220 or 240 gr. Gold Dots. See Youtube videos of same combination splitting concrete blocks in half.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
270 grain penn thunderhead in 45 acp
45 acp armor piercing ammo
45 acp flying ashtray
armor piercing bullet
loads penn bullet 152 swc
penn bullets 152grain 45 auto swc load data
shooting 2x4 in half

speer flying ashtray 45 acp