1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

45-70 blows up.....I was there

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by moke, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moke

moke TS Member

This is a photo of a friends 45-70. He had some severe damage to his left hand but it will be OK (GOOD DOCTOR, University Hosp. Madison WI).

His manual stated 48 grains of Reloader7. Can you guess what happened? ...Answer to follow....moke

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Did he use 84 grains ???

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't know, but I'd guess the wrong powder or too much of the right powder.

~Michael

4. moke

moke TS Member

Wrong powder is correct. Now any ideas as to what powder I found on his loading bench?

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

What powder did you find?

Berettaman7

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Bullseye

7. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

48 grains of Bullseye?

Berettaman7

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

I hope the guy gives up reloading.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

How about #7, a pistol powder? About seven grains of it makes a nice 38 Super load with a 158-grain lead bullet.

Neil

10. moke

moke TS Member

Neil, you hit it on the head. Now go to the head of the class, oops that's where you already are!!!!

First of all this fellow had been reloading for over 25 years!

He mistakenly used 48 grains of No. 7 instead of Reloader 7. One is made by Accurate the other by Alliant. The burn rate on No. 7 ranks 53rd, while the burn rate of RL7 is about 93rd. A simple miss read that could have cost him a hand or more!!! Remember check, recheck, and check again......moke

11. Bridger

Bridger Member

Since I live in the Madison area, tell me where this guy was shooting so I don't go there anymore!!

12. moke

moke TS Member

At my house!!! Northern WI. I have now developed a flinch, and I haven't even shot yet!!!.....moke

13. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

First, I hope if there is any injuries that they minor and heal quickly. I been loading since 65 and fear this, because anybody could make a mistake. Distractions, miss-reading scales, labels, daydreaming and being in a rush are some of the reasons. Mike

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Kind of answers the thread about unknown powder. Jeff

15. moke

moke TS Member

The gun ruptured at the chamber. There was only the one round in the gun.

He lost 1/2 of his little finger and the tip of his ring finger and a lot of the meat of the palm. All tendons were intact. That is amazing because I found parts of the forearm over 30 feet away....moke

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

A long time ago, I as going to try a new load of Blue Dot in a 44 Desert Eagle.

The load called for 20.9 gr, but in my haste, I dialed up 29.0 gr.

The muzzle flash, noise and recoil was something to behold!. The gun held together, ejected the empty, and did NOT blow the primer. The primer was very flat and riveted. The gun was sent back to the distributor, checked and found to be undamaged.

That was my one and only excursion into the extreme pressure zone. I had a lucky trip.

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

We've all been there. Moving right along on a line of trap and suddenly KABOOM!!!! The guy on the post next to you looks at you and says "Wow, I wondered why that one crimped like that." or something equally stupid. It never ceases to amaze me how these things happen. AA #7 and Reloader 7 do not look anything alike, they are made by 2 different manufacturers and come in completely different shaped bottles. Mistaking one for the other is not an easy thing to do. No excuse. This individual needs to lose all of their reloading equipment and take up another hobby. He is lucky he did not injure anyone sitting next to him with his little oops.

Jeff

18. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Folks,

I am an instructor and having these type of pictures is invaluable as teaching tools. If anyone has others please post them here or send to the e-mail above.

Learning from our mistakes is the highest order of education.

Jack Burch

19. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

I had taken up the shooting sports again as a young man in my mid 20's about 1973. A security guard where I worked suggested I join the NRA, so I did. When I recieved my VERY FIRST issue of the American Rifleman there was an article in there about squib rounds, misfires and always checking your barrel after such an event. The VERY NEXT DAY I went to the range, which I had been doing for several months and a Father and his young son set up next to me with several new pistols they had purchased. Well 3 shots into a new Ruger wheelgun and the guy gets a squid round. He pulls the hammer back to let er go again, So I say "why don't you check your barrel first". He did and there it was with a slug lodged in the chamber. I was flabergasted and became a life member shortly thereafter.

20. frumpy

frumpy TS Member

what kind of gun was it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

45-70 blows up

45-70 shooters forum

marlin model 70 blew up
trail boss load data 223