1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

44 Magnum Muzzle Flash

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I know this is a trapshooting forum, but many of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about other types of shooting as well so I figured why not ask. I have an old Ruger Stainless SUper Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel that I like to shoot max loads with. Up until now, I have used Winchester 296 and Alliant 2400 because I was given a couple pounds of each. I have since ran out and need to buy more powder. On occasion, I love shooting loads with huge muzzle flash and concussion. I'm not worried about flame cutting or precise accuracy. For the most part, I use this gun at my gun club just before dark to get the full effect of the flash and bang and want to get some good long exposure photos of the biggest flash I can get. Of course, I stay within published load data limits.

My question is: what powder will give the biggest and brightest muzzle flash from my gun with 180 gr bullets. I have heard the Blue Dot is pretty good and so is Lil' Gun. So far, 296 has been the best for me.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I would guess that any slow burning powder which would still be trying to push the bullet all that much longer in the shorter barrels; blue dot certainly fits that bill.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Most ball powders will give the best muzzle flash if they aren't loaded up to higher pressures. Unfortunately, loading H110/W296 down is NOT an option and is dangerous. Longshot might be one that gives a bright flash, but H110/W296 have been hard to beat. I usually try to load so the muzzle flash is reduced. The 4 5/8" barrel should do the trick all by itself. I had a custom S&W M29 with a heavy 3 1/2" barrel that was the king of all muzzle flashes, especially with the Magnaporting. I don't know what powder they used, but the old Super-Vel 180 grainers would light up the area even in bright daylight.

Careful about Blue Dot in some pistol loads. There was a warning issued somewhere about not using it in certain pistol calibers/loads. One was the .357 Mag with the 125 Grain jacketed bullet. That was one of my favorites for the M19/M66 snubbies.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

no offense but you're daffy

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You know what they about kids and guns

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First thing that comes to mind is that "Hold my beer saying"....LOL

Now I know how those youtube masterpieces are created.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

296 gives the longest flash in my 30 Carbine Contender barrel, fwiw. Really gets people's attention.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Sorry you ran out of 2400. I bought 3 lbs about 3 months ago, but the shelves were bare last time or two I looked.

I like 20.8 grains with a Sierra 240JHP in my 629. (Alliant lists max as 21 grains.)

Big Boom, Big Flash and a flat Primer.

SW

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you get off on that Get you a 500 S&W in a 3in barrel That will get your rocks off. about a 8ft fire ball

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try black powder. Lots o' fire and if you really want the noise, just leave your ear plugs out.

No offense but your a bit messed up .....

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I don't know how long the muzzle flash was, but the flash from a 21/2 #6 load in my Taurus Judge was bright enough to cancel any night vision I could have had when it was fired in very dark conditions.

Phil Berkowitz

12. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

H110 will give the max amount of flash. 296 isn't far behind.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

H-110 is for all practical purposes 296 with a different label..It should work exactly the same..

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

" Unfortunately, loading H110/W296 down is NOT an option and is dangerous"

Loading down from what to what and why not?

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

JerryP

Follow the link above and look at page 16 in the latest Hodgdon loading manual. It states as the last entry on the "warning Page": "H110 and W296 loads should not be reduced more than 3% due to inconsistency
    of velocity at the lower pressure." These warnings have been in their manuals for BOTH powders for a number of years. The older warnings (see below) noted that there was a danger of a bullet becoming lodged in the barrel. There were other "warnings" over the years. Basically you need a "close to full load" and a good strong crimp and tightly fitted bullet for consistent ignition.

Page 31 of the 2003 Winchester loading manual stated: "WARNING FOR 296 POWDER" "Loads using 296 powder require heavy bullet pull (Tight Crimp). Using 296 with light bullet pull (Light Crimp) may result in squib loads and cause damage to the firearm, shooter and/or bystanders."

The recommendation would be that you should not reduce the starting loads listed in their online data, or reduce any load listed in their books without a starting load, by more than 3%.

H110 and W296 are the same powder, so the warnings should apply to both.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In my many years of loading the 44 mag, the most vicious muzzle blast and flash was achieved with the 180 gr bullet and full-throttle loads of Blue Dot.

I now use Accurate #9 for ALL Magnum loads. This powder rules with normal weight bullets. The blast and flash are subdued, compared to 296, H-110, and especially nuclear-flash Blue Dot. LOL

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Blue dot is often recommended for reduced muzzle flash. Had a kid at one of our pin shoots with a model 66 and shooting about dusk he was producing a three foot fireball. I asked him what he was using and he said some outrageous amount of H110. I suggested, as range officer, that he might want to lighten up a bit and make his K-frame gun last a little longer before needing a rebuild. Also told him that although it was rated as a 357 it was never intended for a steady diet of that kind of stuff. He told me it was none of my business so I told him that I considered his load unsafe and he was no longer shooting. The fun of range officering. He later, I found out, talked to some of his buddies and they told him that he should listen to what I had to say. He later apologized and we came up with a much nicer load that still moved the pins off the table.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unlike 296 and H-110, Blue Dot loads can be throttled down a little. As far as full powered loads, they look like a halogen search light in my Ruger Super Redhawk with an undisclosed tonage of Blue Dot behind a 180 gr bullet. LOL

19. KRK32

KRK32 Member

12 grains of longshot out of a King Cobra with gold dots kindof reminds you of a old ford with flamethrowers. kirk

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

FWIW

<em>"SAFETY NOTICE"

"At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That’s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
    Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter".</em>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

44 magnum blue dot

44 magnum powder mosy muzzle flash

will 2400 powder muzzel flash more than win 296

will a heavier crimp reduce muzzle flash

win 296 powder flash

winchester 296 muzzle flash