1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

42 year old primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smifshot, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

cleaned up my reloading house last week and found a box of primed Alcan hulls Picked one out of the box, put it in an 1100 and shot it. Do that about every three years to see if the primers are still good. These are 3 inch 20 guage hulls bought in the 60's.The are Alcans, beige looking. I did not load any of them. The Alcan 2 3/4 inch I bought at the same time were loaded near time of purchase and shot well. These are paper hulls with a waxey look to them. The hulls were not worth a hoot but the primers still work. The primers are covered at the business end by a glob of yellow material. Remeber them? stroker.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I fired some ammo that was older than me. It was 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser ammo loaded in 1946. It was loaded in Denmark. It shot just fine and held to about 2.5 MOA. It was fired in a short barreled (Legal but short compared to most rifles) rifle made in 1918.

I guess the "Senior Citizen" rifles and ammo were made to last!