1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfmanken, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfmanken

wolfmanken Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Q; For shooting 410 what is the best loader, load, shell, wad, power and 2 1/2" or 3"
  2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I don't know anything about 3" 410. Everything below refers to 2 1/2".

There are a ton of answers at the link above. Use the search function.

Everything ever made, past, present, and future has somebody that says it's the best. Heck, the French liked their Chauchat light machine gun. You'll hear everything here.

The best hull is the easy answer. The convention wisdom is the AA410HS is heads and shoulders above the rest. Some still like the STS, but not many. Those that do are usually those that have access to free STS empties, often because they like, and use, STS new ammo. A few have free Federal hulls, and so load them. They give a beautiful looking reload for one or two loadings, then the zingers start. Unless you have access to free STS or Federal hulls, stick with the AA410HS.

For a long time WW-296 & H110 (same powder BTW) was the choice. 'Lil Gun came out and it was very dense and worked great in the AA410CF (compression formed) hulls. Most felt it didn't take up enough room the Federal/Remington cases. My guess is that it was designed for a Remington Premier 410 hull that had 'fit' problems, and was never introduced. I have no personal experience with 'Lil Gun.

Alliant 410 powder was introduced a few years ago, I like it because it is not as fine as WW-296 and so doesn't leak as much. Some contend case life is shorter with Alliant 410. I haven't noticed that. I guess some still like 2400, and if this thread runs long enough somebody will add a post about IMR4227. A few load a surplus carbine powder they get at a good price. I never saw data for that powder.

Wads - It's the general wisdom either the red AA410HS (OEM) was or the red Claybuster clone is best in the AA410HS hull.

Primers - When the plastic hulls came out in the 410, the ammo/powder companies we making special 410 primers that were very, very, mild. Mild was good then. You don't see those special primers anymore. Read a book, do what it says. I used WW-209s for a long time in 410. I've gone to Fiocchi primers in general, but folks with chronos tell they aren't hot enough for Alliant 410 powder. I still have a couple bricks of WW-209s I horde for my 410 loads. I loaded up a hundred practice shells with the Fiocchis but haven't tied them. I probably won't until spring. Unless it's obvious there is a problem, I'll use them in practice ammo, and horde those last bricks of WW-209 for my top-of-line 410 reloads.

Loaders - About the only thing nearly everyone agrees on is you need a loader with a resizer. Due to the skinny base on a 410, and its tendency to totter while moving around the turret, many recommend the Grabber over a 9000. Some swear by the 9000, then state they disconnect the auto-advance. Duh? Why pay more for something extra that you'll disconnect? MEC 600jrs are great if you don't need high volumes. Sizemaster primer feed doesn't work in 410, but the resizer is nice. Your dime, your choice.

If you seem like there is too much room in you loaded ammo, check the shot drop weight. Most are light from the factory. Open if needed.

You'll often be instructed to use on Magnum shot in the .410. "Gun writers" have said that for years. It seems to make sense. I did A LOT of 410 patterning and COUNTING and few years ago. Guess what? No difference in pellet counts or %s betwen top of line USA magnum, and El Cheapo Supremo. That surprised me. Think we can get Myth Busters to check that?

You'll hear everything here. More at the site at the link.

BTW - When it comes to tight patterning reloads and tight chokes/guns/ammo, listen to the trapnoids. But for the real skinny on the 410, listen to the skeeters.

Good luck.
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rochester, NY
    one KEY to good/consistent 410 reloads is LOTS of wad pressure on your reloader, somewhere in the region of 90 lbs. I was having a heck of a time w/ bloopers no matter the condition of the hull, read somewhere to try lots of wad pressure, tried it and the problem disappeared. Now I can load my hulls until they fall apart and they all perform the same.
  4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Is there any load data for the F616 and 410?

I thought they were hotter than W209s but the lead article gave the opposite impression

I had used Fiochhi F616 in reduced load 12's so didnt worry about pressure but I really would like to know where they stack up

Great info thanks
  5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Feb 21, 2007
    I have a MEC 9000G, and except for the usual shot jumping out of the case while changing loading stations, I'm very happy with it. Ditto 296, AA hulls, claybuster wads, and 8.5's for sporting. I had some trouble w/ Win wads sticking to the shot tube, but never happened w/ the claybuster replacement wad.
  6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Having loaded the wienie gun since paper hull days(groan), the above posters pretty much have it right. Only use the 3" hull for field use. No more than you will shoot in the field, it may be cost effective to buy a flat of 3" hunting fodder and sell the empties.

All I would add is that since the little gun uses magnum pistol powder, downloading for economy or reduced velocity does not work. Load the little devil to full house levels. I have used a little over 15 gr with the loads listed above. Use at LEAST 15 gr of 296/H110. Use the recommended primer. As was said, use as much wad pressure as you can. Set the wad ram as far down as you can and still be able to put the wad on the wad guide.

I have not seen an improvement in patterns with "magnum" shot in the 2 1/2" shell with skeet loads.

A premium bore and choke will get good fesults with the 410. A cheap gun sith a swaged choke will not give stellar perfomance. With 3" premium shells and a premium bore with good chokes, you are still OUT OF GAS at 35 yards.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.