1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 Tubes in 12 Ga Problems, Any Help?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Smithy47, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I recently purchased a tube set for my Browning 525 Sporting shotgun. All the tubes fit well, function well except for the 410 set, they will not set the trigger for the second shot. I understand that it is a problem easily fixed if I send it to Briley to fix. My question; is there anything that I can do myself to fix the problem? Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance. Bob Rehmeier at rehrobert@aol.com.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Are the tubes "custom-fitted" tubes? Briley or Kolar should have done the trigger mod at the same time.

Doug

3. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Hi Bob,
    Your Browning has an enerta trigger the .410 does not have enough recoil to reset it.
    The only thing you can do is have Briley or someone else convert your trigger to a mechanical trigger.
    I am suprised that Briley did not do it when they had the gun.
    Regards,Scott Janowski

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

For the price of sending it to Briley, I wouldn't mess with it myself.

I just did this a couple months ago. Cost me about $120 all told, between shipping the receiver there, the $70 service, and shipping it back.

Tim

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Thanks for the advice. DB Bill really said what I wanted to hear. I have been gunsmithing on the side for over 30 years but admit that I do not work on Brownings much. The tube set I bought are Briley Companion tubes. Where can I get a bigger inertial block? I have a machine shop and could probably make a set but would think it would be easier to buy. I understand that Art Isaacson in Desoto, Mo does the work also. Has anyone done this work before and would like to share the process?
    I was into handgunning for years and learned to built race guns, got into high power rifle and built quite a few custom rifles. Now I am learning shotgunning. I enjoy skeet and sporting clays and will learn that work also. I appreciate anything you have to offer. If I feel I cannot do the work I will send it off. Bob R.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This may or maynot help....I tried the 410 chambermates in my XT. It had a problem setting the trigger too. I cleaned the inards really well and with a needle type aplicator lubed around the contact areas. I then when shooting the 410 would make sure I had a solid mount into my shoulder. All worked fine after. I gave up on the 410 inserts to messy left all sorts of crap in the barrels. Gave up on skeet, 410 for fun at trap is a bit to $$$

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Browning doesn't offer a larger inertia block. It's all in the springs and a little stoning..here and there. A mechanical conversion isn't neccessary.

Doug

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Its my understanding that they add a spring as well. I would call Briley if your companion tubes are made from them, and I would still call Briley if the tubes were made by Kolar. Give Gary a call at Briley and he should be able to help you out. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Thanks for the advice fella's, I appreciate it. I will do some phone calling tomorrow. If I find out what works I will post it. Bob R.

10. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Just change the springs to a 410 set. I have 3 Brownings that this fixed. All of mine shoot my 410 tubes fine.
    Most smiths won't tell you this. Too cheap of a fix.

May not void you warranty!

11. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

That sounds like an easy fix. I will look into it. Thanks for the advice! Bob R.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I believe Briley charges $50 to mod the trigger.

I have had tube sets in three Brownings (one GTI and two 425's) and they all set with .410 tubes with no modification.

Jim Skeel

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Brownell's has the trigger piston spring for small bore Citoris. #B1334498 is the Browning no, 149-000-813 is the Brownell's no. The gun will STILL fail to reset if you do not have the gun firmly on the shoulder. Given the additional weight of the firearm with the tubes installed, the gun moves very little when fired.

If you hold your mouth right, you can replace the spring with the trigger pretty much still in the frame. LOL

Personally, I like the trigger conversion Briley does with the Browning. IT ALWAYS WORKS.

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've got a 682 sporting with a full set of Kolar sub-guage tubes and Kolar did a nice job on those triggers. They are very responsive without being too light on the trigger pull.

I just need to get some more chokes fitted to the gun so I can use it effectively in the sub-guage sporting events.

ec90t

15. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Shooting Coach, thanks for the info! Bob

16. neo

neo Member

Order a 28-.410 trigger return spring from Browning for about $2.50 and this will take care of your problem, shoot bottom barrel first. The older Citori manuals show this spring, it controls the trigger return and inertia block. neo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.