1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by newbuster1, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbuster1

newbuster1 TS Member

Any suggestions on an inexpensive 410 for trap shooting?
    I shot a friends old Winchester O/U on labor day and really enjoyed it. I don't want to invest a ton of cash. Just looking for an economical way to have more fun.

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

You will find it's much cheaper to buy new 12 ga ammo than .410 ammo. My advice is to find a cheap 12 gauge; Winchester mod.12, Remington 870 or 1100. Larry

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

Ditto on Larry's post. The 410 is NOT economical. Ammo costs 2x + the cost of 12g ammo. Only the better shooter will even consider 410 for trap. (and only as a occasional diversion because it's very difficult) 12g is the way to go and Rem 870 trap pump ($500 ish) will give you the bang for the buck. If you really get hooked like the rest of us, then the next step is in the $$ thousands. mike b.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

for just goofing off you should just get one of those cheap chamber inserts for one of your 12's or 20ga guns..that way once the novelty wears off (it will)you are not out very much...or just get a Mossberg 500 pump..they are full choked from the factory and can be found used for under 200 bucks usually

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

newbuster1

"Any suggestions on an inexpensive 410 for trap shooting?"

If you already own a 12ga trap gun send it to Briley and have them make a 410ga full length tube to go in it. Then shoot it until the cows come home. You would probably need to contact them to find out how much for a single tube and what length the will make. What it will cost.

Thats the cheapest way I know of a pair for an OU in ultra light is $525 so one should be cheaper than that.

Bob Lawless

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting a 410 is both fun and a challenge. I once has a Rem. 1100 in 410 ga and enjoyed shooting it.

New shells are expensive but cheap to reload. You can fill your shot and powder bottles and load a long time without refilling them. Keeping the hulls straight in some reloaders can also be a challenge.

Pat Ireland

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check out GunBroker item # 139380161. Now there's a cool, inexpensive O/U for trap!!

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

Instead of buying a new gun, shells, reloader,....etc. Reload your 12 gauge with 3/4oz. of shot and you will be getting the same effect...low recoil, a challenge, fun?,...and when the "fun" is over you won't be out anything.

Wayne

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Reloading 410 is expensive unless you have a supply of hulls.

Reload a 7/8 oz 12 ga load or 3/4 oz 20 ga for something cheaper as well as low recoiling.

I have had fun shooting a 28 ga but I was lucky and fell into 1000 cheap hulls.

Cheap and Trap are mutually exclusive words. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Don Verna

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Savage Four Tenner 410 insert for a 12 gauge break open gun. It has an extractor that is activated by the gub's extractor. PM me if interested. jm

11. Pegleg

Pegleg TS Member

Check out the Mossberg Silver Reserve in 410,its a great little gun. It runs around $500,has selective trigger,with extractors. This is an O/U lotta gun for the money. George

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

410 for trapshooting?

Yes, by all means....and play all the options!

Curt

13. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

Hi -
    interested in the Four tenner, do you have a pair ? ( for a SxS )
    thanks !
    -ted
    email me --> theodorescolt45@yahoo.com
    -oo

14. mike b.

mike b. Member

Newbuster1, I assumed you were a real newbee. With that out of the way, the Baikal 27 410 O/U was my choice. Have many 24's and one 25 logged with it. But the norm is around 17-20. A fun challenge periodically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
4-10 trap
410 shotgun trap shooting

410 trap gun

410 trap guns

are 410 good for trap shooting
is a 410 appropriate for trap shooting
shooting trap with a 410 shotgun
trap shooting 410