1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 STS v AA

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Lagamor, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lagamor

Lagamor Active Member

I apologize if this has been posted somewhere else on this forum. I looked and didn't see one like this.
    I will begin reloading 410 this summer. I'll buy a flat of shells soon and I have a choice between Remington STS's or Winchester AA's.

My LGS told me that STS's were harder to reload because the shells were stiffer. Plus the Remington's were twenty dollars more. Generally this guy knows what he's talking about, but I'm not sure this time.

Does anyone here have experience with both? Is one clearly better than the other?

I'm an experience reloader for various pistol calibers, and have been loading 12 guage gun clubs on a MEC 600. I'll probably go with a MEC for the 410's, maybe a PW Duo.

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I load 410 on a Mec Grabber, a Mec Sizemaster and a Spolar. The Sizemaster does a great Job, but is slow if you shoot a lot. The Grabber does the same Job only faster. The Spolar does a great fast job, but if I try to go to fast I wind up with shot being thrown out of that station as it cycles. I use Alliant 300MP. a very fine grained powder and it leaks around the bar and after about every flat that I load, I have to remove the bar and cleanup the powder residue or it starts binding. It is my preference to load the AAHS hulls as they last longer than the STS hulls.If you wait a couple months, Winchester usually puts on a AA rebate program, makes the AA hulls much more reasonable to load. Bill

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I would go with Winchester. I found things go best when reloading the 410 to use
    the manufacturers components. Remington prices for components are nuts,
    Winchester wads and primers are reasonably priced. HMB

4. P3AT

P3AT Active Member

Winchester hulls will reload several times more than Remington.

Pat

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

While I think the Remington STS .410 loads beautifully, it does not have the hull life that the Winchester does. Winchester is my choice hands down. A good load in the Winchester hull is 15.6 gr Alliant 300MP, Claybuster CB5050-HS wad, Winchester primer.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. Smithy47

Smithy47 Active Member

I reload the Winchester AA 410 instead of the Rem STS for several reasons. 1. They last longer. 2. I do not have to use the shorter Rem primers. 3. They crimp better with the factory shot drop. I had to add pellets to the STS to get them to crimp right. Regards, Bob

7. Lagamor

Lagamor Active Member

Looks like the consensus says Winchester is the better economic choice. Lower initial price, lower component price, better availability and more reloads per shell. All good points. I appreciate everyone's input.

Can anyone tell me whats the deal with the high price of Remington components, especially the primers? I've always used Winchester primers, because that's what my LGS consistently had on the shelves. I don't understand the higher prices for Remington. Are they that much better? With a quick look through some load data they don't look like anything special. Do they use magic primer dust or are they just overpriced?

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Everything Remington makes is overpriced. Includes primers, wads, and factory shells.

SpeedyWho thanked this.
  9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not any better, way over priced, wads too. HMB

SpeedyWho thanked this.
  10. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Bob, what kind of velocity are you getting with 13.2 gr of 300MP? Alliant website shows their lowest powder usage load of 14.9 gr gives 1200 fps.

11. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If you are used to loading 12ga and now you are going to load .410 don't expect nearly as many reloads per hull. If you get 4 or 5 out of a .410 you are lucky and they are very expensive little shells.

12. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

you will get as many as 8 good reloads out of The AA.s and maybe 4 good loads out of Remington hulls with that being said I load both. The AA.s I load with 1/2oz #9 shot
    for skeet and the remingtons with the extra capacity they have I reload them with 1/2oz of 8 1/2 shot for sporting clays.

13. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

tractorboy - Sorry, I had a brain phart. The 13.2 load is my 20/28 load for 28 ga. My .410 load is 15.6 gr 300MP. I fixed my original post. Thanks for catching my error.

14. mas cerveza

mas cerveza Member

I am using the Mec 650 progressive and Winchester AAHS shell. I have had good success reloading this shell. At the place I shoot, the only shell that is used is the AAHS and I think this is due to the initial cost. That being said, I have and the other shooters I shoot with are having great success with the AAHS shell.

I am using Lil'Gun at 13.2 to 13.5 grains (13.2 Federal Wad, 13.5 Claybuster/ AA410HS wad). The MEC bushing don't drop the grain they say they will, so you'll need modify a bushing or get a universal charge bar (assuming you're using a MEC). With the Winchester/Claybuster wads, I can get 275 - 300 per hour after I have set up. With a Federal wad, I can get 200 - 225 an hour. I switched to the Federal wad because my neighbor gave me a 1000 or so free wads and it requires less grain.

You can't go wrong with the AAHS 410 shell.

15. Lagamor

Lagamor Active Member

I didn't expect this when I posted. Seems like Winchester is the Universal choice on this board.
    Looks like I can put my mind at ease and pick up a flat if AA's. Anybody know if they have an upcoming rebate?

16. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Yep AA

saves pain.

DGH

17. 2skeet

2skeet Active Member

Good friend of mine shoots a lot of registered NSSA and loads the STS through a Spolar. He claims that the STS will offer a little more fps and that he can duplicate that load. He claims he can't get it with the AAHS. He also doesn't worry about hull life like the rest of us poor folk do. The STS are in the trash can after the second load.
    Like a lot of the other guys that have posted I like the AAHS. Usually I can get 3 loads that I shoot registered with then maybe 3/4 more for practice before they are used up. A old retired shooter at our club will take all the old hulls I give him and he cuts them down to about 2in. and loads .250 oz of shot. I know sounds like a lot of work but hey it gives him something to do besides mowing.

18. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

A little 2 inch sounds cool, and a 1/4 oz shot,, A bag of shot would last almost forever,

I know some cut 3 inch down to 2 1/2

DGH

19. DDRanch

DDRanch Member

In my Ponsness Duo AA 410 hulls run through like butter compared to the STS 410 Hulls

20. ezz555

ezz555 Active Member

I have loaded AA on a variety of MEC machines and they really load up nice. I use H110 and it makes for a nice stack height and the crimps are great.