1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daplane, Sep 17, 2013.

1. daplane

daplane TS Member

Anyone shooting a 410 and do you reload? I'm thinking for 5 stand and do you use 2 1/2 or 3" shells

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We have an avid 5 Stand shooter at our club that only shoots 410. He reloads, which is the only way you can afford to shoot 410 in any volume, and uses only 2 1/2" shells. Mark

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I shoot .410 in Skeet and for fun. I have a Briley tube set for my Browning XS Citori Skeet and I also have a small frame Browning Citori .410. I use 2.5" in the tube set since that is the size specified in NSSA rules, and 3" in the small frame Browning when I am shooting for fun. Either way, the .410 is a hoot to shoot.

If you shoot any volume, you have to reload. I can get factory AA or STS for about $9 a box, but I can reload it for less than $3 a box. The best hulls for reloading from a longevity standpoint are the WW HS hulls. The best powders are Alliant 410, Alliant 300MP, and Hodgdon H110. The use of 300MP in the .410 is fairly recent, and it looks to be the best powder there is for .410 (higher velocities, lower pressures). I am just starting to work with it however.

4. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I have a Browning 4bbl. combo set...and I shoot 28 gauge and .410 eighty percent of the time.

The 410 is by far the cheapest of the 4 gauges to practice with...and reloading is a must.

8 1/2 shot with 1200 fps loads with full chokes will really surprise you, and will do much better than most think at 5 stand. Looser chokes spread the shot too much at any distance...and 9 shot has noticeably less energy.

Good luck..Stan

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have a Citori 410 and shoot it for skeet. Lots of fun but a 25 straight STILL alludes me with that lil gun. I reload but if Winchester continues the rebate and the value of hulls remain high you can shoot new for under 4.00 a box.

6. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I love shooting both sporting clays and 5-stand with my 410. Reloading is a must. I load 2 1/2" AA HS hulls, 16.4grs. Alliant 300MP with the hardest #8 shot that I can get. Some times I will load some 7 1/2's, but you have to watch for shot clog in the drop tube. Pretty much duplicates the AA Sporting Clays load. Mod. and full choke, need some density. 3" 410's are like 3" 20"s. Slow, lack energy and don't pattern as well. WARNING -- don't start unless you are ready to be hooked. Bill

7. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Oh yeah..I agree...absolutely 2 1/2" HS hulls only for reloads...but I can't tell the difference between 8 1/2's over 8's. The 8 1/2's pellet count helps my mental thing though...small shell, more shot, blah, blah, blah..lol.

9's is a different story...I've seen several dusted targets that didn't break with 9's..

The lack of recovery time between shots is like shooting a .22, much, much cheap fun.

Stan..

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I shoot a Browning XS sporting in 410, a Browning model 42 and have a tube set in 410 for my 20ga model 23. 410 is by far my favorite and I shoot it in skeet and SC most of the time.

I reload on a MEC 9000h using 2 1/2 inch AAHS, red clay buster wads, 300mp and win 209 primers. I use a recipe that says it goes 1300FPS but I've never chronoed it.

Lil gun and 410 powders would tend to burn through the middle of the hulls after a number of reloads. 300mp doesnt burn through at all but the tips start getting crispy at about 4 or 5 reloads and generally they need to be chucked by 6-7 go rounds.

I use almost solely reclaimed from the Leadminer and in contrast to most people, I have never had a bridging problem reloading 410. My shot tube isn't tapered so I think that' makes a difference...but the loader just came that way, it wasn't proactive on my part.

1/2 an ounce gets a bit thin on long crossers in SC but when I hit them, they hit solid...so no surprise, it's more me than the gauge or load. On SC I use primarily a full or extra full choke. On skeet I open it up.

It's an addiction for me that started when I switched from my12ga XS to a 20ga frame. I loved the feel of the gun and how it swung. That lead me to 410 and there is no going back. I'm currently on the hunt for an affordable 410 sxs hammer gun. And that's the one major drawback to the pea shooters. The smaller you go, the pricier the guns get. On the flip side, 25 pounds of lead makes 800 shells so a little goes a long way.

Dan

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Alliant 410 power, 2.5 " AAHS hulls, Winchester HS wads and #9 shot for skeet . Prefer reloads over factory.

10. johnboy

johnboy Member

Alliant 410 power, 2.5 AAHS hulls, Winchester wads and #9s for skeet, better than factory!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3 inch sucks, a PITA to reload.

HM

12. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Shoot probably a couple thousand .410's per year at skeet, dove and quail through a couple different guns. Use Win HS 2 1/2" hull, Win 209 primer, Win 296 powder through a MEC #11 bushing, Win HS .410 wad, and 1/2 oz of 9's.

Just finished the early dove season here in AZ, and in 4 days of good desert dove hunting, I went 40 doves for 75 shells with my Browning 525 28 ga Briley tubed to a .410. Fun times!

13. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I have a Spolar 410 3" head. It works well but you have to watch the shot drops for bridging if you load shot larger than 8's. We have 410 and 28 gauge pot shoots. Great fun. Bob

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

BobK- "I use 2.5" in the tube set since that is the size specified in NSSA rules".

There is no shell length limit in NSSA, only shot charge. You could use 3.5" 12ga if you wanted for the 12ga event, as long as the shot charge didn't exceed 506.9 grains.

15. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

True, but I don't have any 1/2 oz loads that can fill a 3" case.

16. daplane

daplane TS Member

Great info keep it going any photo's of guns or people shooting 410's so it seems most of you like the 410 powder in the WWhs 2 1/2 hull?
    Love those 410's

17. DBSkeet

DBSkeet Member

I have used Alliant 410 in the past with good results. I need more powder and some people are recommending the Alliant MP300 if using AAHS hulls due to increased hull life. If any of you have made this switch what are your observations?

Thanks

18. daplane

daplane TS Member

I'll be using a Mec what size bushing are you using for the 410 and MP300

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot a M42 Winchester field grade for recreational (just for kicks) skeet every now and then but mostly use it for quail. I have found that the 2 1/2" shells actually work better on game than the 3" stuff. The thing to remember is there isn't a very big payload so the shot size needs to be small in order to get decent pattern density. #8 is the largest shot size that I load and I prefer 8 1/2. The #9 shot may be the ticket for skeet targets but it doesn't always penetrate the quail well enough and I tend to get alot of runners after I knock them down.

As others have mentioned, you really do need to handload if you are going to get to know the .410. A single stage MEC 600 cranks out good ammo for me and in the quantites I require. Also stick with the 2 1/2" AAHS hull and the HS wad (or clone) exclusively and your loading experiences will be very good. WW296 or H110 (same) are great powders for this little shell although there a a couple others.

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I shoot 410 and 28 over 90 pct of the time. My favorite hull is AA old hulls and AA HS. I switched from Li'l Gun to 410 and then 296. Longevity of the hulls being the reason I switched. Primarily use a Grabber for both gauges and need to find a shot tube that isn't tapered. Never thought about seeing if a shot tube from other gauges would fit the 410 to stop bridging on no 8 shot. LOL I average 22 with both five stand and skeet. Looking to get better but have yet to shoot straight on the five stand. 24 is best with a bunch of straights in skeet. Jackie B.

Search tags for this page
410 shell for trap
410 shot size for trap
410 shotgun for trap

410 shotgun shooting

410 shotguns for trap
best 410 sxs shotgun
best powder for 410 hull longevity
best size shot 410 trap