1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.410 shotgun

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I am looking for my first .410 shotgun. I really do not know a lot about them. My pheasant hunting brother has laid down a challenge saying that .410 can not reliable kill a rooster. I do not think I believe that and want to prove him wrong. I would like to purchase one and practice with it this summer and win a small bet with my brother.

JMAC

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

What are you looking to spend? Rem 1100 or 870 would probably be your best bet. The one Shooting Coach has for sale here is a heck of a deal, I'd buy it myself if I could think of a use for it...

3. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

0   0   0

If you are talking about wild pheasants, with all due respect I believe that your brother is right that a .410 cannot reliably kill pheasants under normal conditions. Occasionally you may get a close shot with no wind that may make a clean kill or possibly if you are a blocker on a calm day. Unless you are exceptional about picking your shots and are an extremely good shot I am afraid that alot of pheasants will be hitting the ground wounded and running off - even with a good dog - just to win a small bet with your brother. I have folded them up solidly with a stout 12 ga. load only to see them escaping through the brush as I ran over to where they hit the ground.

4. Jamotom

Jamotom Member

0   0   0

+++++1

Reliably is the operative word.

You can kill deer with a 22...but not reliably.

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

The 410 is a pheasant crippler deluxe.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

You are asking the Wienie Gun to perform a monumental task.

Perhaps with a handload of copper plated 5's, 3/4 oz at 1200 fps, but only out to 15-20 yards. If you are willing to be afield all day for perhaps that ONE shot, go for it. OTOH, a day afield with a friend and good dogs is one of the better things in life.

Best to let him win the bet and get more gun.

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

0   0   0

Fifty plus years I killed my first Mallard and first Pheasant with a Stevens 3" hammer action single shot full choke 410. Bought the gun for $29.95 and it is in the safe today. There is a group of hunters from Dallas that hunt Lesser can and Specks at Webfoot Connection lodge with 410s and get limits.

8. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

It can be done. I learned to shoot with a single shot 410. Dad told me when I could hit consistently with it I could use a bigger gun. Shot alot of quail & pheasants with it. Used 3 inch 6s for everything but doves. Yes there are better guns for the job. But I can honestly say I've killed many limits of game with that old 410. Rich

9. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

win a bet? tell your brother to quit picking on the dummy.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Now OZ, be nice! LOL

Limits of waterfowl and pheasant indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.