1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.410 reloading info.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim101, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I need to know if the new winchester wad for the HS hulls will work in the old type aa hulls. I just acquired several hundred hulls and they are mixed new and old type. Would like to be able to load them with the same components.

TIA Jim

2. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

The new HS hulls use the RED wad. I understand that the was was made just for that hull due to taper.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think there will be a difference in performance, whether it's detectible depends on the shooter.

Load some and Chrony them.

HM

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have used the Remington SP-410 wad in both the old compression formed AA and the new HS hull with good results. The two hulls have different internal volumes and overall lengths so you will not be able to load both with the same setting on your loader.

Jim Skeel

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

NO! The HS wad is oversized for the older Compression Formed hull, and pressure will rise. Yellow Duster and Downrange PC orange wads work well in the CF hulls.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"The HS wad is oversized for the older Compression Formed hull, and pressure will rise." Maybe. Or maybe not. Nobody knows. Lots guess.

7. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I would be very careful with substituting components in the .410 because pressures can spike drastically with seemingly small changes. The Alliant site shows that in the new AAHS hull 12 gr. of .410 with Duster wad gives 10,740 psi while only 11.4 gr. of .410 with a Duster wad in the old hull results in 11,100 psi, both using W209 primers. Stick to published loads.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to keep a couple of wads on hand till I run out of the old CF hulls.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.