1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bewmetal, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewmetal

bewmetal Member

what is the best 410 reloader on the market?

thanks

Brett

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Brett,

Like most anything else "Best" depends on perspective.

Loading .410's is more problematic that the other gauges.

If you are looking for high volume production and want to look good doing it, then you want a Spolar or Ponsness/Warren. Both great machines but all those finely machined parts make them quite expensive

If you are looking for high volume at moderate cost and you have a good hand/eye mechanical skills, then you want a MEC 9000G.

If you are not pretty "handy" a MEC Grabber would be a better choice then the 9000G as you have to turn the shell plate by hand it is easier to sort though the inevitable tipped cases and spilled shot.

If you recognize that you are not very handy, then the best thing is a MEC Sizemaster. The Sizemaster is a single stage press and is relatively slow, but it is "almost" foolproof and is,by for the easiest to operate. It has a collet re-sizer so you wont have any problems with the shells fitting your chambers.

Michael Goines

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What mag410 said.

Regardless of the reloader, your 'expletive' vocabulary will get a good work-out.

Whatever you choose, mount it on a baking pan or cafeteria tray, and have a good selection of brushes and dental pics to hand. And a shell-cutter. And a roll of Scotch Tape. (yes, I'm serious: taped crimps that are missing petals shoot just fine.)

Most of the real serious 410 shooters I know have a MEC Jnr or Sizemaster near their main re-loader to salvage their 'just this one last reload' hulls (or recycle components from hopeless cases).

Inspect, sort and sift your hulls before any session, and put the 'maybe' aside to load 'later'. Nothing raises your systolic more than having to baby 2-3 hulls per 25.

You'll get - by far & away - the best bullets (velocity, service & hull-life) from AA and H110/W296.

PW if you can afford it, MEC 9000/Grabber to save a few dollars, and don't forget the Jnr alongside.

Bob

4. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I, being mostly all thumbs, found the 600jr to work best. I tried the 9000 and grabber, but when I subtracted all the time I spent cleaning up shot and getting everything back in sync, the 600jr gave me the best production rate. With the 600jr you also don't have as much worry with bridged powder drops, as shot and powder travel down the same tube. my .02

pg

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It's hard to beat a 366 for quality 410 reloads!

ss

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

My .410 MEC 9000H does a fine job.

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I really like my MEC 650. I have much better control over potential problems. I find it as trouble free as my MEC 600.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I load mine on a P/W 900 with an Auto Drive (I shoot 5000 .410's per year). With good hulls it can really put out the shells.

Jim Skeel

Here is my setup with the 28 gauge dies.

skeeljc_2008_03037.jpg

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

You have a PM.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.