1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cooter, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooter

Cooter Member

What brand of 3" 410 hulls are more sought after by skeet shooters?I would like to buy a flat of 410's for hunting and would like to sell the emptys.

2. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

AA That simple

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeet shooters want 2 1/2" AA's!! Very few guys are set up to load 3" shells.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington STS, holds more shot. HMB

5. ink ball

ink ball Member

Not even legal to use 3" 410 shells in registered skeet.

6. Cooter

Cooter Member

Thanks for the info guys!

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

You should also know that 3" .410s are not as good killers as 2 1/2" shells. The few added pellets slows the load down a lot. Velocity in the shorter field loads is considerably faster than 3" shells. AA hulls are available in several different shot sizes suitable for hunting. Generally speaking, #6 shot is the best compromise.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My dad, 85, still likes to squirrel hunt. The owner of the timber he hunts doesn't let anyone use a rifle so dad uses his old 311 Savage .410. Lately he says the shells, Winchester max load 3"er's don't seem to have the punch. He uses 6 shot. I can load .410's for him. Should I load up some skeet loads with 6's for him? He doesn't want to use any bigger gauge.

9. Cooter

Cooter Member

Good info guys,thanks again,Barry ,I'm a little new to this 410 stuff so it would be better if someone more knowlegable answers that.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Cooter, the 2 l/2 inch 410 hulls in the Win. AA HS can also be loaded at 1,200 fps to 1,250 fps and to 1,300 fps as well. Can't do that with the other hulls as well and still keep the pressures down. That should help with some knock down power in hunting. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I reload both 3" and 2 1/2" and agree about shorter shell doing a better job. The only comment I would add is about shot bridging in the larger shot sizes. MEC has a comment somewhere in their literature about .410 reloading to raise the wad ram/shot tube slightly before dropping shot. This will allow shot to free fall into hull and minimize bridging. Using a MEC 600 I still give the shot tube a light tap with wrench. .410 reloading can be messy if you go fast.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'll use an old manual Lee loader. He shoots about 20 shells annually. Many thanks. Barry

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Skeet shooters don't use 3" .410s, they also don't cut 3" shells down to 2 1/2", and 3" .410s are perfectly legal for NSSA skeet as long as you don't shoot them in the .410 event. And, yes, whiskey will help you get over the frustration of .410 loading on a progressive loader.

14. Cooter

Cooter Member

2 1/2" double a's it is and I think I'm going to bag the idea of reloading them!

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"Not even legal to use 3" 410 shells in registered skeet." "3" .410s are perfectly legal for NSSA skeet as long as you don't shoot them in the .410 event."

Not true. NSSA has NO restriction whatsoever on shell length in any gauge or event, only shot charge. You could use 3 1/2" shells for 12ga (as long as you didn't go over 1 1/8oz shot), 3" shells for 20ga (as long as you didn't go over 7/8oz), and 3" shells for .410 (as long as you didn't go over 1/2oz). Don't know anyone who ever would, but thats not to say that it couldn't LEGALLY be done if someone wanted to...

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You'd be amazed at the speed of a 3" 410 bore hull loaded with a 1/2 oz of shot!

ss

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Skeet Man, you caught me on that one. What I should have said was "A factory 3" .410 is perfectly legal in NSSA skeet as long as you don't use it in the .410 event."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.