1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 or 28ga ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rifle guy, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I was woundering which of the "small bores" would be best for some light hunting and the occasional fun trap round. I like the lack of recoil and a light gun. so which is better? I have a 20ga and want something smaller and different to shoot and have fun with, any insight would be helpful.

rifle guy

2. tj303

tj303 Member

28 gauge!

3. jbshep

jbshep Member

28ga for sure.
    You can load or buy factory loads from 1/2 oz up to 1 oz.
    Patterns better than a .410 also.

4. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

thanks i was looking more at the 28 but the 410 is more popular (wasnt sure why). and i am looking for a over under. now that i know the gauge what gun?

thanks
    rifle guy

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too vote for the 28 gauge as well. It breaks targets like a 12 gauge(super pattern) but kicks like a 410. If you really like a challenge and some heartbreaks get the 410. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

28 gauge

IMHO, the .410 is good for expert skeet shooters, and not much more.

7. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Earl I own many 12ga shot guns including a 11-87 and a 390. I shoot trap with a bt99 and hunt with a 20ga 870 or a model 1200 12ga. I just want a small bore and am not depending on it as a all around gun.

as for which type of over under 28ga I am not sure. which brand is better lighter more durrable but not $2000. It will be a field gun and used as such. which brand wil be best ? ruger, browning, beretta, CZ? I have very little experience with o/u's any input would be helpful.

rifle guy

8. freeride

freeride TS Member

I would go with the 28, I shoot a browning 525 three bbl set. And shoot the 28 the most. It does brake targets well!

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One member has a mossburg 410 pump, absolutly crazy fun to shoot trap, just to much $$$ for shells unless your set up to load 410 already. Last I shot he chaged me 7 bucks for the box i shot. Havnt seen him with it since. I heard him say the last time he got a few boxes paid closer to 9 per box.

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

28 Gauge for sure, but at the same time invest in a reloader and a couple of flats of ammo to get the hulls, I recomend REM STS for reloading.

I have hunted pheasatns, quail, and rabbits wiht my 1100 28GA and have no complaints!

Ronbo

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If your going with the 28 gauge, buy a reloader. You'll save a ton of money if you reload. It will easily pay for itself and you'll have more flexibility.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Might I suggest a Franchi. It come in a 48 AL model for about $700.00 or they have a 48 AL Deluxe which is about $850.00. The deluxe comes in Grade A walnut and is a beautiful little gun. It is a recoiling barrel design so you might want to shoot one before buying. They also make it in a O/U and the field grade starts at about $950.00. One drawback is that the Franchi do not have the resale value of a Browning but they do cost half as much and shoot as well as it. Jackie B.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

28 GA with the right loads kills pheasants decisively. One beautiful gauge!!

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Having decided to keep my skeet/clays gun set up to shoot like my trap gun, I put IM and Full chokes into the 28 ga. tubes and headed over to the trap range. Using Remington STS factory loads with #8's (readily purchased at the local Sportsman's Warehouse), I ran my first 25. Hit 71 out of 75, and I suspect my score would have been higher had my partner not insisted I shoot a round with her 20 ga. Lightning (Belgian), with which I hit about 14.

I'd rather use the 28ga. than the 20. Even in my own gun.

Tony

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have found a 28 ga much easier to reload than a 410ga. It can be difficult to keep the 410 hulls straight in the loader and this causes problems with inserting the wad.

Federal did load some promotional Gold Medal 28 ga shells with the new Alliant 20-28 powder. I have a few cases of them to give away. I will be at the SC Hall of Fame Shoot.

Pat Ireland

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have shot a 28 since I was a teenager for birds and I can say that after trying a 410 for a few years here and there the 410 is nowhere near thje gun a 28ga is. The 3" 410 has one of the longest shot columns of any gun out there and I have been told( read) this is the reason they pattern so poorly. Anybody who has shot a 28 very much will tell you that they just kill harder then they should. If you are not in a hurry a used browning can be had for less then 1200 dollars. I personally do not like them but many people shoot them very well.I have always shot 1100 28's and with hulls being so expensive it hurts too lose them. Jeff

17. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Winchester loads a 1 oz 28 load for hunting, with 6's. Great load if you do not reload. 28 is one fine gun. I have it in a Browning O/U Ultra XS. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

18. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I would go with a Beretta out of the silver pigeon line or maybe even a nice little 28ga 471 Silver Hawk Side/Side.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Guerini Summit sport. Great gun with exteded choke tubes.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Rifle Guy, you will fall in love with the 28 gauge. Ammo is a bit pricey but you can get a fair variety of loadings. Mail ordering might be necessary.

The 686 Berreta or a 525 Browning are great guns and they are within your price range. I would advise against the Ruger.

In terms of shooting comfort vs performance, the 28 gauge is at the top of the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.