1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 loads? what reciepe? what hulls r bad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Well I decided to try my hand at a 410 for skeet this summer and was fortunate enough to find a great seller right here on ts.com. Of course you cant hardly shoot 410 without reloading and that is what I will do. As I load 12 gauge its apparent to me with relaoding this hull or that hull works best etc.

I am looking for advice and which hulls to use which ones to stay away from and a suggested wad powder etc. any help is appreciated. tx.

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

This is what I would recommend: Best to good hulls, Winchester HS, Remington STS, Federal. Powder of choice is either Winchester 296 or Hodgdens H110. Both are the same powder. Wads; either Claybuster red wad for HS hulls, or Winchester HS wads. Big difference in price as claybusters are cheaper and will do the job. Primers: Winchester 209. This is the load that I would use: Winchester HS hull, 15.2 to 15.6 grains of Winchester 296, Claybuster HS 410 wad, and Winchester 209 primer. This will get you a 1220-1240fps with 10,900 pressure.

David McMillen

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

+1 to above. Winchester AAHS hulls will last the longest by far. STS hulls have a little more room in them, if you want to push the powder or shot amount limits. Never pattern your 410, you will lose all confidence that you can hit anything at all. :) Skeet 410 is a hoot and humbling at the same time. Have fun. Mark

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

What David said.....

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Regardless of what hulls or powder you pick be aware that just as shooting a 410 is a whole other ballgame, so is loading one. Be very aware of the following: Shot bridging in your drop tube, size 9's especially & powder
    leaking out or your charge bar. 110 or Little Gun is very fine & tends to
    migrate from where it belongs. Good Luck!

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

I will add my two cents. I agree with the other guys about AA hulls, wads,win
    209 primers, and 296 powder. It all works for me. John

7. fooldawg

fooldawg Member

David,

That's a good load but some push it a little faster to keep the pattern together depending on the choke in use.

Also, I think pressure is less than 10,900 at that load level. At least according to the Hodgdon reload site.

Take care,

Dave

8. billn

billn Member

I shoot skeet withe the 410, and I have used 296, its very fine and it is all over the bar when using it, I switched to Alliant 410 and its a little better, in the Winchester loads I use down range wads for HS and regular AA's, when using Remington hulls, check your receipe you will use a little more powder and watch out out for the HS hulls, they will have black spots just above the brass, if so its a burn thru , so don't used them if you find a black spot there.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I changed to Alliant 300MP and could not be happier. Much cleaner than 296/H110.

Easy to get 1300 fps with moderate pressures.

I don't cull any hulls, but load Federal and Eurotrash once and let them go.

Most shot bars throw light charges. You may need to open the bar up a little with a rat tail file. Make sure you need to do this. In the past, I have gone to 245 gr as opposed to a nominal 219.5 gr (a little over enthusiastic with the file). Could not tell the difference in breaks, load was visibly slower. You can go to 229 gr in Skeet and have Kosher loads. Make sure you have enough space in the case for good crimps.

You will discover that the Idiot Stick is persnickety about crimps.

The AA-HS hull seems to last longer than any. Lower pressure loads increase case life.

I use Magnum 8's, since I shoot Sub Gauge Sporting as well as Skeet. Nines work for Skeet (have for a long time). It seems like Magnum shot gets better breaks in the Baby Bore.

Try to shoot the Baby Bore as you would your 20. Leads and such are the same. Trying too hard with him is a (popular) recipe for disaster.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

David McMillen has it right. Stick with the HS hulls and Winchester components. Shot sizes are 9 or 8 1/2. This works and works well. Incidently this recipie is what Winchester prints on the HS wad bags. There isn't much upside to experimenting with other loads like you see in the 12 gauge.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like the Winchester HS hull. I gave up on Remington STS hulls because they just don't hold up in the crimp.

I use Hodgdon H110 and Remington SP-410 wads. The Hodgdon website has the loading data. H110 seems to give the best hull life.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030335.jpg

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Stay away from the Federals. Jeff

13. djldb6

djldb6 Member

AA HS hulls, claybuster red wads and I love 300MP. It doesn't burn through the sides of the hulls compared with other powders and the tips don't burnt up as fast.

I used to load #8 shot, but one day I tried some reclaimed from Terry the Leadminer I use in my 20ga shells and have never gone back. It loads great and oddly enough seems to break harder than straight new 8's. Probably because of the odd 6.5 or 7 mixed in there somewhere.

Dan

14. ShotDog

ShotDog TS Member

I too am a proponent of the Aliant 300mp. I have used lots of Lil gun and H110, these are extremley dirty which i said wouldn't bother me. Well after eventually getting to a point when i shot a round my right hand was black from handling shells i started looking for something else. The 300mp is much cleaner than the others i have tried. Don't get me wring it is no where as clean as Clays in 12ga but for 410 bore reloading it is the best i have found.

just fyi i use remington sts huls, win primers, and clay buster wads.

Break em all & enjoy the 410.

David Lamb

15. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Winchester HS hulls are a hands down choice in .410. Claybuster HS was are just a bit better than OEM, and cost a little less. U.S. made Alliant 300MP is the best powder, although I also use H110 and Alliant 410 powders.

16. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Skeet_Man, who post on here a lot shoots reloads in the 410 events. I believe that he is ranked in the top 5 in 410 high average by the National Skeet Shooting Association (right up there with Wayne Mayes, who also shoots reloads). Maybe Skeet_Man will tell us what his 410 recipe is.

Skeet_Man are you out there?

17. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

If you have any of the old AA CF hulls I have found that I have to use the PC Orange wad to get the best crimp with 228 Gr of Magnum 9's and 15.3 gr. of 296 powder. The old CF ( compression formed ) hulls make grat looking crimps.The Remington SP 410 wad works ok also. I agree the STS hull just don't hold up as well as AA's.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

win primer, rem STS hull, 15.8gr Win 296/Hodgdon H110, Rem SP410 wad, 229gr Lawrence Magnum shot. Velocity is 1225-1250ish, no clue on pressure.

I ended up T4 in 2011 (.9850 average on 800 targets w/ three 100 straights). Increase in standards meant I didn't qualify in 2012 (but ended the year with .9783 average on 600 targets).

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

STS hull, 245 gr 8.5, 8 or 7.5 shot, PC orange wad, STS 209 primers and either Alliant 410 or 296 same bushing (#12 in my hydraulic MEC). 300MP takes up way too much space for no real benefit. Rather have shot than powder!

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

Winchester HS hulls, Winchester HS wads, Alliant 410 power and what ever primer. I actually prefer this reload over factory Winchester. I tried Remmington hulls and they worked fine for a couple reolads with Remmington wads but after that could not get a good crimp. I tried Claybuster in the Remmington hull but the crimp dished in most of the time. Prefer Winchester hulls in the 28 and 410 and Remmington STSs' in the 20 gauge. Use Winchester and Remmington wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 loads

410 loads using claybuster wads
claybuster 410 wads presher
loading data for winchester aa hs hulls 410
natinal skeet shooting assosiation rule book loading data