1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 Loading Assistance Please.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have always loaded loaded AA hulls and recently came by some Remington STS hulls and can't seem to get the crimp right. I am using claybuster AAHS wads which are supposed to be good for HS hulls or Remington STS. I have tried lowering the crimp starter, setting crimp deeper and it still pushes the center of the crimp way in. The wad starter is not registering any pressure so I haven't changed that. I appreciate your help. Jackie B.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When reloading an STS 410 hull use a Remington wad. HMB

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have had good luck using Federal wads in Remington hulls. They take up a little more space which keeps the crimp from caving in. Ron

4. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

In my experience with the Rems, the hull lengths vary. I also have found that dropping closer to 225 grains of shot helps fill up the case a little bit, in turn making better crimps. The Rem STS in .410 are really only good for a few reloads, they usually start to split after the first reload.

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Ditto on what Quack kills said.
    I bored the shot hole of my MEC charge bar to take powder bushings and found one that filled the STS case where it crimps good. It does not take much, just a few pellets, but it works.

If you do not have access to someone to bore your charge bar, get one of the adjustable charge bars.

410 is the most fun guage to shoot clay birds with, and with the price of shot going up, it is practical too.

Good luck!

Bob

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Use Remington SP-410 wads and Hodgdon H110 (Win 296) powder. I like 14.8 grains of H110 but you can use anywhere from 14.8 grains to 17.0 grains depending on what velocity you want.

Jim Skeel

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jackie, First thing I'd check is your powder drops and your shot drops and make double sure both are correct. If they are both correct then the next thing would be to try a different wad. I looked and the HS wad does have some listings in the STS hull, but they are really made for the slightly larger inside diameter of the new HS hull. I have loaded all three with the Orange PC wad and this wad works great with all three hulls, STS, old Win. and Win. HS too. Does the HS wad go in easy or is it a tight fit??? Break-em all. Jeff

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The wad does go in easily. I use an adjustable bar so adding a few pellets to fill the hull will be easy. I'm not over at my shop right now but I believe the loader is dropping 13.1 grains of little gun. I'm using up my last bottle of lilgun and will switch to 296 and I also have a few pounds of 410 powder and have not tried it. I mainly wanted to make sure I was not overlooking something obvious. I'm hoping that I will be able to get more loads per shell with the 296 as the lil gun seem s to burn the hulls up quick. Thanks everyone. Jackie B.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You NEED the SP410 wad (or maybe the federal, dunno there, never tried that, I figure if I'm paying full boat for OEM wads, I might as well get the one that belongs in the hull), a full charge of shot, and as bulky a powder as you can find. skeeljc turned you onto the best sts .410 reload that can possibly be had. I use 15.4 grains myself, and a win primer, for a little snappier shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.