1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 loaders a question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

winchester has a 3" 3/4 oz load how do you load it it has a star crimp but i can't get that much shot in a shell rick

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know how Winchester does it but you might be able to get 3/4 Oz in the newer 3" WW case by using LIL Gun powder and a trimmed shot cup. You would be on your own in this attempt because of the lack of loading data so this could be risky. The .410 operates at pretty high pressures as is and it doesn't take much to push it over the edge so IMO its a bad thing to attempt. 11/16 Oz is the limit for me.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Lyman 4th Edition Shotshell loading handbook has several 3/4 oz loads at or near 1200 fps. FOLLOW THE RECIPE. Notice the Winchester hull holds 11/16 oz, not 3/4 oz.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the new win has a 3/4oz load I have 6 boxes of no6s they are not cheap i guess i will cut one open and see how they loaded it H 110 is the load at 16gr but with a shot cup type wad there is NO way of getting 3/4 oz in it rick

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Do not drop 16 grs. of H110 in that load. I just looked it up on Hodgdon's website. There are a number of 5/8 oz. loads, 11/16 oz. loads (normal) and at the bottom are a number of 3/4 oz. loads only in the 3 inch Win. HS AA hull. The 3/4 oz. loads are all at 13,000 psi at the very top of the limit at 15 grs or less. They are a bit on the slow side as well. Only 2 types of wads even listed. Check out Hodgdon.com. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

The factory may use a slightly longer hull for their 3/4oz. charge plus more internal volume which they can make just for that load and a weaker primer,like Remington did. (they're the factory, they can do whatever they want). Your hulls wouldn't work in that case. Did you ever measure a hulls length? Might learn something.I found many different lengths in AA's and them compared to others.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

duck head you are right the win HS is about 3/16" longer i will open one up and see what they did Lyman has loads listed for rem and fed useing a SP410 wad but 3/4 oz is full shell full and those wads have NO compression area. The primer looks different ,looks like a fed rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.