1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I know this question may not be relevant to most trap shooters here, but here goes anyway:

When participating in skeet with a .410, do the shooters use 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch shells? Does one use smaller shot when shooting a 410 in skeet or other clay events ie 8 1/2 or 9?

Thanks
    JMAC

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Usually 2.5 inch shells and most shooters that I know use 9 shot.

Bob Lawless

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

2 1/2" shells with 1/2ounce shot usually #9 but most go no bigger than 8 1/2's

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

While there is no cartridge length limit in NSSA skeet, I've never heard of anyone using anything other than std length cartridges (2 3/4" in 12,20,28 and 2 1/2" in the 410). You are limited by shot charge (1/2oz max in 410), and I believe it would be overly difficult to get that in a 3" shell. You COULD use 3" 410s w/ 11/16oz shot in the 28ga event if you were so inclined. Really wouldn't be a bad way to get started in NSSA skeet, purchase a 20ga gun and a set of 410 tubes, and you should shoot all the events with that setup.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The max shot load is 1/2 ounce so the 2-1/2" hull.

I use 9's except for cold weather shooting I switch to 8-1/2's.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Shooting in an area where Sub-Gauge Sporting is exploding into popularity, I load Magnum Eight's in the Wienie Gun for the close-in Sub-Gauge Sporting targets.

A lot of folks shoot 8 1/2's.

The deal breaker might be the rabbit target with smaller shot. The little fellow does not throw much shot.

I do well with Magnum Eights in the 28 and 410, Nines for Skeet.

Nashville Gun Club's superior Baby Bore Sporting course has caused me to get back into the 28 and 410 business. "^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.