1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 hull separated from brass.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I bought a new 1100 410 Sporting and just couldn't wait to shoot it. Well, Sunday afternoon I did and was using AAHS hulls and I had one to separate from the brass and apparently the hull went out the barrel and I possibly wouldn't have noticed except for the misfeed of the next shell and saw the brass still inside the receiver but not in the chamber. That hull had been reloaded four or five times. My concern is the possibility of the hull hanging in the chamber. Anyone ever have a hull to seaparate like this? Should I be real concerned about this incident? Jackie B.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jackie, Congrats on your first "whistler" You get them from time to time when reloading the 410 bores. It happens on both types of hulls, the Rems and the Win's. To my knowledge both do it and I have not heard of one or the other being more prone to this seperation. It happens as the hull gets older. You will just need to get used to it or fire new or only 1-2 loaded shells through it. I've even had them break the target, but they end up missing most of the time. LOL. Sometimes you can see the whole plastic piece out at the target, and others you have no clue until you see only the brass come out of the gun. This is not a big problem and not heard of any plastic hulls getting stuck in the barrel. The whole thing comes out, but the brass. (Don't quote me on this). Most likely has to do with the higher chamber pressures and the shell crimps not wanting to open as easy as the 28's ??? Enjoy your new gun and have fun. There still the cheapest shells to shoot no matter what the lead cost is. Break-em all. Jeff

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I saw a 12 ga. AA HS (new style) separate in this fashion on Tuesday evening. The hull remained ahead of the chamber in the forcing cone area. The hull had been reloaded "I don't know how many times" by the shooter.

4. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Dont reload those hulls as much- be more selective with 410 hulls

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Pull & Mark. Got a couple of buddies that shoot nothing but .410 at the skeet venue and it's common with any shell. You'll get used to the sound of the whole package going out the barrel. Just make sure to check your barrel/receiver if you have an odd occurrence......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. Shooting Jack

Thanks fellas for the info. I have a 410 O/U but I seem to shoot my best scores with 1100's. I must admit I was pretty concerned about the hull separation but will just have to watch closely. Thanks again. Jackie B.

7. catfish dave

catfish dave TS Member

I have been shooting an 0/u 410 for the last few years now and have many seperations with both rem. and hs hulls, but last sunday i had my first hull stick in the forcing cone. Like others have said if you listen there is a different sound when shot, we call them zingers. Quite a chore to removed the stuck hull. So listen close and check that barrel. Good shooting
    Dave

8. Shooting Jack

Pat, what powder do you use? I use Lil'gun and I'm lucky if I get 5 or six. They seem to burn up pretty badly. I will loose several with side splits as if they were burn throughs. I bought a pound of 410 Alliant powder just to try it but haven't gotten to load it yet. Thanks Jackie B.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jackie B.

LilGun is way too destructive on expensive .410 hulls. My favorite is Hodgdon H110 which is the same powder as Winchester 296. I would not shoot LilGun if it was free!!

Jim Skeel

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Shooting jack, the plastic portion of the hull probably went out the ejection port. I have had this happen with my 1100 Sporting.

The old paper hulls used to burn through at the top of the brass and then the tube would go down the barrel with the shot and wad.

It always pays to stop and investigate off sounding shells when shooting an auto.

Jim Skeel

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

another vote for H110 or Win. 296. The H110 is a bit cheaper for the same thing. Nice low pressures with the Orange PC wad and a few others to get longer life out of your hulls.
    Dave around here we call them Whistlers, because more than a few make like a whistleing sound comeing out. Break-em all. Jeff

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My experience with the Alliant .410 powder was tempered by the fact that I was only getting about 4 or 5 reloads before they started to burn through my HS hulls. I went back to 296/H110. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.