1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.410 guys....question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shooter66, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

So I picked the boy a cheap .410 (hes 9 and a little guy and the 20ga is just a touch to much right now). Not having shot a .410 for decades I need some advice on some field loads.

We will be out shooting some pheasants (pen birds) and bunnies over xmas break...looking for some suggestions.

2 1/2 1235 ft ps 1/2oz (6 shot) or 3 inch 1100 fps 3/4oz (6 shot)?

Im leaning toward the 3 inch 3/4 oz stuff....but Im willing to listen to any advice!

Scott

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The velocity difference is negligible, but 50 per cent more shot is my choice.

Hang on to your wallet.

HM

3. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Man your not kidding either way it aint gonna be cheap! I couldnt believe what they get for a box....must be solid gold shot...lol

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

.410 is an expert's gun. Load down some 20's. He'll be much better off.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I've always liked the 2.5" over the 3".

Walmart has the 2.5" for $6.97 a box. I believe thats the cheapest you'll find.

6. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

He has 20ga currently (shot his first turkey with it last fall)...when I say little guy read as in 55lbs...its not the recoil that gets to him its the gun wieght itself. He is pretty wore out after a pass or 2 through a field. I dont want him to be turned off on the sport because hes tired. As well I dont want to invest 500.00 + into a gun he is going to grow out of in a few years.

I figured this little .410 will let him develop as a shooter without learning bad habits because he struggling with the gun weight. If he can handle the gun and have fun...its a win win in my book!!

One day I will stumble onto a nice 1100 LT 20 Gauge for a steal and pick it up. I had a 20ga 1187 youth sporting in my hand last week very nice youth gun...but you pay for it.

7. shaner

shaner Member

i wouldnt worry to much about the equipment, just gettin him out with a new gun and having a good hunting experience is the main thing go and enjoy!!!!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Don't worry about the neysayers and a 410 for your son... I used one as a kid and did just fine. Him being out and enjoying the time with you and the outdoors is the main thing at this point.

If you haven't already purchased a 410, take alook at the Mossberg pump. Walmart did have them but I haven't looked for quite awhile. A friend of mine got one for Christmas a few years back and its a neat lil gun for the money. Oh by the way, this friend is 49....

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For some reason the 2 1/2" shells seem to perform better. The 20 count boxes of Remington game loads are available at most walmarts for about $7, and you can get them with #6 shot. That is about the lowest cost .410 shell outside of handloads. I have used those shells on cottontails to good effect, the thing is you need to be fairly close to the target - 20 yards is the effective limit. Take your time and get the little guy in position where he can make a good shot and you will both come away with big smiles.

Also, good plan on looking for that LT20 M1100 for later on. I got one for my daughter and it is working out great for her. I found a youth dimension synthetic stock from a TS.com'er which really made the gun manageable for her small stature. Gun weight is an important consideration for these young shooters.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I disagree on the statements about the 3" not shooting well. I use both 2 1/2 and 3" #8 or 7.5 for dove hunting, and the range with the 3" is much better. I use a AYA 30" SxS M/F. Throw some 3"r's in there and let'r happen.

11. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I started with a 410 single shot it was good on bunnys .Then for my 11 birthday dad got me a bolt action 410 still have it and love it.Plan on giving it to my 4 year old when he is 9 0r 10 .I shot my first Pheasaint with it i still think it was the biggest bird i evershot Go with the 410 he will love it.It is not about how many you shoot it is all about the fun of being in the field with your dad . I still hunt with my dad and i always bring up that first bird when we drive by the spot.Have fun KIrk

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I used to be an expert and then I out grew my 410. Find some old paper shells and he'll be hooked for life.

Robert

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, you have lots of options. Here's what I did. I bought a youth gun for my boy, and sold it without any trouble later. This was an 1100 LT-20.

My brother in law bought the regular LT-20 and got a youth stock for it so he could switch it when the kid grew. He also sold the stock easily.

I loaded some 3/4 oz 20's with 7625 to start, the 3rd box was standard 7/8 oz as he was good to go by then.

For hunting purposes the 20 gas gun is very effective while still having a recoil advantage.

The 3/4 oz 20 will be better than the 28 because of the gas operation. (not to dis the 28)

All depends on how many guns you want to have around.

HM

14. copper

copper Member

I hunted a lot with a 410 42 winchester years ago always bought 3in #6 for every thing need the extra BB,S worked fine

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

For what it's worth, I hunt club birds exclusively with a Winchester model 42 - 410 full choke. I buy winchester super speed extra 1/2 oz #6 shells that are 1275 fps. from wal-mart. I have found that these 2 1/2" loads pattern better and kill cleaner then the slower 3" 11/16 oz. shells. I am fortunate to shoot over an exceptional pointer. Even when I don't crush the birds, they can't get away from my dog. It will killed roosters stone dead at 40 yards if I do my part. Your boy should have plenty of time if he will be shooting over a good pointer. I also agree with letting him practice on skeet field station 7 low house birds. Bill Hom

16. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

A 410 is a great little gun. When I was a youngster I harvested many a rabbit and quail with one. I hunted squirrels with a Savage 410-22 over and under. Use the 3", # 6 shot or on pen birds 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Two ways to ruin a new youth shooter is a gun that is ill fitting, IE: too long, or too heavy, and too much recoil.

I have worked as an instructor for the Ill Dept of Natural Resources for several years. As a certified instructor, with kids 10 thru 16 years old, I find many, that the 28ga. 1100's are too heavy for. I think you made a wise choice. Find a home trap and set it up for the shot he needs and turn him loose.

If you will E-Mail me an address I will ship your son 3 boxes of Winchester, 3" # 6 game loads. Free. Try them and if they don't work you have lost nothing.

mc

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

He's too young and too small to start now, wait a couple years. You may ruin it for him forever.

18. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Weight, size, strength, and gun, not age.

mc

19. 223

223 TS Member

I've used a .410 Wingmaster and 1100 auto for years. I only use 3" x 7-1/2's and I buy the largest amount of shot they have on the shelf. Pen birds are easy, but you'd better be behind a good dog on real birds. Lots of luck, It's alot of fun giving the bird a chance.

Drew Waller

20. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Mr. Charles you have mail....and thank you for your kindness sir.

EuroJoe....I dont agree with you. I began shooting at 7yrs old with a shotgun and 5yrs old with a bb gun. My boy has already shot a Turkey (shotgun) and a Deer (crossbow) at age 8...he loves shooting and hunting. He passed his Hunter Saftey test at age 8 ON HIS OWN with no help from Dad. He sat through both 8 hours days of class and studied all night in between the days. He has earned his right to hunt and shoot in my book. Not to mention the bonding time I get with him as well as the respect he has for weapons I beleive to be priceless. Not taking him with me when I shoot or hunt would break his heart and is not an option.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.