1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 ga

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i sold all my 410 stuf 25 yr ago. thinking of getting back in to it with my grand kids. since i reload , to reload was i first thought. old aa hulls are hard to find. factory aa are the hs hulls. if i were to buy 4 flats new or buy once fired hulls, would you go for new aa or the sts? i guess i mean to have the hulls to reload later. thanks charles

2. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Buy either. Remington wads work well in either the sts or new HS hull. Federal wads will do the same. Pull current data from the web. You might find it takes a little more powder in HS and STS hulls than you loaded years ago. H110 and 296 still work well. Good luck..Tom

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Kids? Think 28 gauge, or 20 gauge in youth 1100.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT!!!! Think 20 gauge in a light fixed breech gun.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

686, I too am just getting into reloading the baby bore. I agree with the 296 or H110 powder as well. But a fellow shooter who shoots skeet as well has told me not to use the Remington wads in the HS 410 hulls. He tried it and the powder leaked into the shot and caused bluppers. He stacked vertical and upside down in box as he did not use the Mec e-z pak to have all shells lay horizontal. The gentleman I just bought my reloader from told me to buy the orange PC wads, these will work in both new AA's and the STS's as well. My skeet shooter buddy says he gets twice the reloads from the AA's over the STS's. I have not tried the PC wads out yet, its just hearsay but I don't think I was lied to about this. He also said that I can subsitute the cheaper Nobel sport primers and load as a Winchester primers. Can anyone out there verify the wads and primer switch. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Let me ask a stupid question - why don't you use the wads Win recommends? If shooting Rem shells, why not use their wads?? Please do not tell me about the $2/1000 cost difference.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I reload the new AA .410 hulls and they reload fine. I haven't reloaded too many .410's though.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I use a MEC 9000H and all Winchester stuff (HS hulls, HS wads, 296 powder, and Win 209 primer). Never a problem with wads or cases. Can load almost as fast as 12ga., and I prefer my reloads over factory.

8. 686

686 TS Member

thanks to all. setterman that was my next question, type of reloader. i was between the grabber and 9000gn . i think i will be gooing with the 9000. also aa hs shells and hulls . thanks charles

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

mrskeet410 has it right. A .410 is an expert shooter's gauge.

Get the grandkids a youth 1100 in 20 gauge. They'll be better served.

Just my opinion.

Tim

10. billn

billn Member

I have been loading WAA HS hulls and they load fine, but watch the case above the brass, if you spot a break, small black spot in the plastic then the case has a hole in it and will split. I have some that are split about a 1/4 inch before I noticed the starting hole in the case. SO look at the Winchester HS hulls if you load them several times.

The HS hulls are nice to load and you can shoot them several times, but be on the watch for any signs for the coating to be split near the brass case.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have found the .410 HS hull and HS wad the only way to go here. Stick with 15g H110 or 296 for the powder and use the ww209 primers. (follow the recipie on the bag of wads) I know, the are lots of other combos but in my experience they are all second best and there really isn't much of an incentive to experiment. As another poster put it, the .410 is not a good choice for beginners, it is for the advanced shooter that is willing to be humbled. The target load 28 gauge offers a lot more performance at similar recoil levels, a gas operated 20 gauge is a better choice yet.

12. Maner

Maner TS Member

I like the remington wad in the remington hull.The winchester wad causes a wrinkle at the base of the hull at random.

13. Gary Waalkes

I was paying attention to this thread because I started shooting my .410 again this winter after about an 8 year layoff. I still have lots of old hulls but I had problems with wads and shells back then. So I started putting Win wads in Win hulls and Rem wads in Rem hulls and I would never put CB wads into Rem hulls but they were OK in Win hulls. Somewhere in the middle of that, I stopped shooting the gun and did not start shooting it again until this last winter. (It is fun to shoot trap doubles with it. IC and Full chokes.) But sooner or later, I am going to run out of those old hulls and have to start again. As far as brand of loader, I started shooting that gun again and got a PW platinum something or the other. For many reasons I like it much better than the MEC and now that MEC has increased their prices and PW has reduced theirs so the PW is offering so much more for only a couple hundred bucks more than the MEC.

14. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I use Winchester AA HS hulls,17 gr. of h110,Orange pc wad,1/2 0z. 8 1/2 shot. This load is really great. I have used it on skeet , sporting clays,and trap from the 16 to 20 yard line, and it will take those 16 yard birds away. I will break 19 to 22 birds from the 16 with this load using my Citori skeet gun. Great load for the little gun!

15. Gary Waalkes

I hate to be stupidly technical, but I must tell you the .410 is not a gauge, it is a bore size. It is the only one. the rest really are gauges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.