1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

410 for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Well here was a surprise. I had tried the 410 mod and full choke with No.9's in the past with DISMAL results (like 0 for 10) but was in a combo league today and since the 410 was already wet, well, what the heck.

Broke 21 at skeet with 9's and used No. 8 in trap. Said to the squad: if station 1 was a disaster, I would change guns. Well first bird was hit with surprised smiles all around, and then the second... went 8 straight before dropping one.

I am right handed and did well on 1 2 and 3 (do right handers shoot better on right to left targets?) but spotters said I started stopping the gun and due to light weight of the 410, lost my smooth swing on stations 3 to 5.

I ended up with only 15 and I am usually at a 23 average. No, it will never beat the 12 but I think I may learn some finer points of that gun by playing with this a bit more.

time will tell

regards

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

More than likely you started out moving the gun like a 12ga, then you got careful, leading to lost targets.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

And then again...it may just confuse the hell out of you.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No guts to have small gauge Trap events . Jeff

5. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

410 trap is a blast!
    I had tried several single 410's at trap with very dismal results.
    Then I had an opportunity to purchase a solid rib, modified choke Model 42
    Winchester and my scores went up dramitically.
    It seems that everyone can shoot this gun well and people are amazed that a 410 can break targets that hard.
    Wish it was a ATA event. Think of the money saved reloading....

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've seen a few annies shot with 410's from the 16 yard line. It looked to be a lot of fun.

ss

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've shoot 410 many times from the 16, average is 20, the thing I found was move to the bird a bit faster . If I waited then I'd swing past the bird, you need to keep the lighter gun from swing to fast. I have a friend that shoots a 410 most of the time from the 16 his average is 23 he's run 99 x100 twice.

8. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Used to watch a guy shoot bunker with a model 42. He averaged around 17. Never smoked a target, but they sure broke well. Used the 3" 11/16oz loading with 7 1/2's.

- - Bill

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What do you reload 3" HS 410 cases with?

Mine were standard 2.5s

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.