1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.410 for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I enjoy shooting .410 for skeet a lot and reload....I shoot 12 for trap, of course, but would enjoy dabbling from the 16 yard line with a .410 on the Sunday fun shoots. Any recommendations for a .410 in the sub-1000 price range? I love my Browning skeet special o/u but it has fixed SK chokes and can't quite afford another citori at the moment. I saw a Dehaan with full chokes on Cabalas but don't know anything about em. Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated. Also...shot my FIRST 25 on Sunday and went 96/100 (started shooting in April). Thanks all!

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

Its my own bias but I'd avoid any Turkish made gun like the Dehaan. Some are good, some not so good. I'd suggest you think about just having Briley install some skeet chokes to the gun you have or sell/ trade it for a Browning sporting .410 with choke tubes. Get one with 30 or even 32 inch barrels and you should be set.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I shoot a Tristar Hunter EX 410 with choke tubes. I think I paid around $550.00 for it and have put around 6000 shots through it and is still going great. I actually tried it from the 16 yard line on a wobble trap about a month ago and shot a 16 with it. I didn't feel to bad about my score either. Jackie B.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use .410 for bunker.

5. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I would suggest that you look at a Browning BPS in .410, especially if you can find one with the 28" barrel. They have the weight and feel of typical full size browning, have invector choke tubes and can be had for less than $600. Have fun.

Scott

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Find an old Winchester M42. There's no more fun than that!

Steve

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

An 870 Wingmaster isn't bad either.

While we're on the subject, wouldn't 16 yard be a lot more interesting if .410 bore was the only thing legal? We'd save money too.

-Gary

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I had Briley fit a full length 410 tube with a 3" chamber into my 34" BT-100 for trap shooting and 410 pot shoots. It works well and only cost about $325.

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I did the Briley companion tube trick in 28 ga.for the BT99 and it is a TON of fun.

3/4 oz of 8s from the 16, while probably not as effective as 1 oz loads is nevertheless quite effective and the reaction of the other shooters has always been positive.

10. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I think 410 would be appropriate for the 27yd back-fencers with more than one courtesy punch!!!It would probably take Ray, Phil, III & others about 1, maybe 2 traps to figure it out! LOL

11. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Briley Companion tube is the way to go....

12. fishguts

fishguts Member

Load 3/4's oz. in 12ga. and save the cost of a new gun.

Wayne

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I have 28ga companions for my trap single and skeet/sporting O/U. They work great and are good practice as well as easy on the shoulder and loading supplies. Tried .410 on 16 and....well, I'm not that good.

14. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree that 410 from the 16 is a lot of fun. I have a model 42 factory trap with 28" solid rib barrel. I shoot it best when i shoot 2 1/2" AA sporting clays #8 "1300 fps" or equivalent 1/2 oz reloads. I find the 3" do not pattern near as well for me. If you are shooting a break open trap gun, the Briley or Kolar tube might serve you best if you can stand the extra weight. JMHO Bill Hom

15. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Thanks for all the great responses. I shoot a Citori for 12 guage trap and the companion tube is probably the most practical/cost effective/sensible idea, thus I will immediately discard it. Shooting super soft 12 loads is also a very, very sensible approach too. So it too must be ignored. I try and be honest with myself and I like trying out new guns and getting new guns etc, and taking em apart, and fooling with new loads, etc. Hopefully I can run into an affordable model 42 (doubtful) or perhaps an older Remington Wingmaster...I think they made those in 410 with a 28 barrel. A BPS is also an option as well as noted above. I will keep an eye out for one and let you know how it goes. If I can't find one by spring, I will go with the companion tube....as a final note, have you found the Chambermates (or equivelent) to be a viable option for high volume shooting? Thanks for all the cool imput. RICH

16. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

What litle experience I have had with chambermates 410/12 ga. is not good. You get pretty high shot to shot variation.

20/12 isn't bad though....

17. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Jerseyshooter, if you are interested in a Model 42 type gun without all of the M42 expense I would suggest that you consider the Browning M42 knock-off. I have owned one for several years and, while I haven't shot trap with it, I have had much fun using it for game farm pheasants. It comes with a fixed full choke and I'm sure it would be a hoot from the 16 yard line. I see where Southwest Shooters Supply (www.swshotguns.com) in Phoenix has one NIB for $900.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

For a field gun I bought a 12 gauge Stevens 512 Goldwing, not a bad $500 gun. I liked it enough to buy a 20 gauge like it, also $500. They also make it in 28 gauge and .410. They come with 5 choke tubes. Stevens must have made a special run for Dicks sporting goods because the ones from there are silver finished receivers and all other I have seen are blued. Not a bad gun for the cost of a good set of tubes and chokes.

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Those 410 empties are like gold & new are even worse. (expensive) also rather short reloading life, but FUN & humbling. did see (only 2 times) guys go 24 x 25 with 410. back home we had 10 bird meat shoots with 410s from the 16 yd. line because it got to the point that you had to go straight just to get in a shootoff with 12s, from almost any yardage... probably cheaper to shoot 12s as empties much easier to come by, but not near as much FUN FUN FUN.Ross

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For recent production guns...

The Rem 1100 has screw in choke tubes.

The Rem 870 Wingmaster has a fixed mod choke.

The Rem 870 Express has a fixed full choke (and has been discontinued).

The Mossberg 500 has s fixed full.

The Browning BPS has screw in choke tubes.

All chamber 2.5" and 3". The Mossberg is the least expensive. The 1100 is the most expensive. The rest are in the middle. For the money, the BPS has the best finish, wood, and screw in choke tubes. (Remington really missed out by putting a fixed choke on their Wingmaster.)

Also, there are used Winchester/USRA and Browning reproduction Model 42's out there. I don't recall what choke they have, but it's fixed. These would probably be the classiest way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
410 bore and trap shooting

410 for trap shooting

410 shotgun for trap

410 trap

410 trap gun

410 trap shotgun

are 410 good for trap shooting
can i shoot trap with a 410