1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

41 Remington magnum reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Seeing that the powers to be have finally realized that there isn't much distance difference between a 357mag,41mag,44mag bullet leaving a pistol and a rifle the State of Indiana is going to allow rifles chambered in these rounds to be used during deer season.

I'm looking for a good starting point for reloads. I will be using an older 1894 Marlin chambered in 41 Remington Mag. Some of you out there may have some suggestions, and I would sure like to here them.

ec90t

2. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

If you have need of good cast bullets for reloading/practice, give Ed at call at Midstates Cast Bullets. He has a good size line of cast bullet and is also an ammunition manufacturer and right now has some really good prices on .223 ammo that is absolutely first rate in quality and accuracy.
    http://www.carrollsweb.com/gunshop/

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for the info.

I'm still trying to figure out what bullet weight I should use! I don't know if I should use 7 1/2's or 8's. Lol.

ec90t

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I can't be the only one that has one of these rifles. A little help please.

ec90t

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

OK ...I gots lotsa info...on a 41 that you are going to hunt with, try these...210Gr Speer GoldDot JHP over 21gr of H110 pretty accurate and the fastest at about 1750fps

more accurate but slower is same bullet over 21.5-22 of IMR 4227..this load is around 1600fps
    ** you can substitute Noslers 210grain but the Speer GoldDotis a much tougher bullet if you want penetration and need to take angling shots that need to go through over 15" and bones are in the way

the 170grain bullets are faster but dont hold together at close range because of how fast they are traveling

Hope that helps

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Calvin thanks for the info. I'm looking for info that takes advantage of the 1894's increased barrel length and strong action.Is there anyone that has info for rifle loading this cartrige.

ec90t

7. CalvinMD

those are specifically for the rifle..the velocities shown are the real thing from MY 94..

8. CalvinMD

P.S...Idon't know why but my 44mag '94 with the 270Speer and the exact same amount of H110 is faster??? figure that out

9. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

go to Hodgdon's web site for load data. They have some listed but probably less than you'd find if you buy the book.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

mallard',

Hodgdon only has pistol loadings listed on their website.

Calvin,

You da' man. That is exactly what I'm looking for! What kind of grouping can I expect to see with those loads? I know that things will vary from gun to gun. How far out have you shot either round? Thanks again for the help.

ec90t

11. CalvinMD

Expect around 1.5" or possibly smaller at 50yds...my 44mag gun does just a hair over 3" at 100yds which is the farthest out I would ever shoot at something with either the 44 or the 41 unless it was like a real small deer

12. mobear

mobear Member

ec90t,

My father has the marlin in 41 mag, I will check with him and let you know what some of his pet loads are.

Dan

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Dan.

The more info the better!

ec90t

14. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

ec90t, if the link above works, this is data for Speer 210g Gold Dot. I have used them since they became available for hand loaders. ........Roger

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Roger,

I was trying to find that kind of info, but was unable. Sometimes you have to be a little smarter than the tool you're trying to use.

ec90t

16. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

ec90t, Just to let you know the use of rifles still has not been ok'd. There is a proposal for their use but it still has not been approved by the DNR. I was at the State Office building today on other business and stopped in and checked with them on this. There is an open meeting to discuss this issue on March 26th at Fort Harrison at 6:00 pm.

John Harden

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

I know that the final adoption hasen't been made, but I have it under very good authority that it is in the bag! My sources are about 99% correct on this kind of matter.

Eric

18. mobear

mobear Member

Eric,

Here are several reloads my dad has used for deer hunting:

14.6gr 800x 170gr sierra jacketed hollowpoint 1760 fps

9gr herco 215gr lead semi wad cutter 1100 fps

*11.5gr 800x 215gr cast semi wad cutter 1475 fps

9gr herco 220gr speer solid point 1220 fps

*11.6gr 800x 210gr remington soft point 1480 fps

The 2 load with the astericks are his favorite, he doesnt use the hollowpoint load any more as he shot a small doe with it and the bullet came apart and did not exit the deer.

Dan

19. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Here's what I use.... 210 grain hard cast gas checked bullet, mag primer, WW cases, 17.5 grains of 2400 powder.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You guys are awesome!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

41 magnum at 1600fps

41 remington magnum ballistics

41 remington magnum loads herco

rifle loads for 41 remington magnum