1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

40 years ago today>

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BAMA, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

Looking back at events that took place 40 years ago today, the one event that doesn't seem to be listed in any book was the one that was the most life altering in my life. I joined the US Marine Corps and shipped off to boot camp July 27, 1967. Alot has changed since that date but through it all, I profoundly believe that I am a better person because of it. It's also interesting to note that my youngest son Jon graduates from the Marine Corps 6 week Sergeant's Academy today.

Semper Fi,

Don Myers 1stSgt USMC(Ret)

2. BP348

BP348 Active Member

My brother just went over his 20 year mark on the 15th. Hard to believe I could have 20 years in at any career. We went in on the same day but, after 7 years I got out and he stayed with it.

Congrats on the long career. Hope your sone does as well as you.

P.S. Just to make you feel better thought I'd let you know that I wasn't even born yet in 1967 :)

3. CIM

CIM TS Member

Joined the military in 1976.Commissioned through ROTC in college.served my 4yrs active stayed in reserve and national guard till 1996.Gave me my 21 yrs service.Served in the 1st desert storm and panama and greneda.Feels good to have served my country that long.My father was a 1941 graduate of annapolis.

CIM

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Forty years ago, I had three young kids and made $202 a week. But, I was not in the line of fire and appreciate those who were. God bless them all.

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I was 7 years old. Way to young for Vietnam. War to old for Desert Storm. I didn't serve. In retrospect, I wish I would have. To all who did serve, Thank you. To all in the service or, those with family in the service. Thank you and thank them.

Shawn

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

Don

Hope you are well. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Hauser

7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Bama, You are a better man because of that.

Semper Fi

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Forty years ago I had been out of the corps 2 years. Where did all the time go, seems like yesterday.

Don

9. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

Semper Fi, Bama! I was on active duty in the Marine Corps from 19 Nov 1975 to 1 Feb 2006. My son graduates from Army boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood this week.

Bob Mizner, CWO5, USMC-Ret

10. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Bama/Don, I remember meeting you at Miramar Gun Club (now SAN DIEGO Shotgun Sports) when your son was graduationg from MCRD San Diego. That was quite a few years ago and you haven't been back. Then again I haven't been to Tucson.

I joined the Marine Corps in Brooklyn in 1948 and was discharged in San Diego as a Sgt in 1952. Married a San Diego gal and never went back to Brooklyn. Marine Corps discipline had a positive impact on my life.

Great seeing your son advance in the Corps. When did they start a Sergeant's Academy and where is it located?

Augie

11. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

Augie,

As it turned out, that was my last trip to San Diego but I understand that my son's Sqd is coming to Miramar in Aug for 2 weeks with their Ospreys for some training. If that does happen, I'm sure I will make another trip if possible.
    As far as the Sergeant's Academy, I'm guessing it took the place of the old NCO School and it appears to be a HQMC thing set up regionally.

Semper Fi,

Bama

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.