1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

40 or 9mm Auto?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MGRAY, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGRAY

MGRAY TS Member

Looking to buy an auto for some fun shooting at the range. Any advise on caliber or model? Thanks...marty

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Fun shooting = hacking around = not a target gun and cheap ammo.

That means a 9mm for cheap ammo.

Type of gun - you will get a lot a "advice".

The CZ 75 is hard to beat. High cap Mags too.

A lot of good used guns out there too.

Don

3. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

for paper shooting by the 9mm. Sig, HK, Glock, Springfield XD all good choices.

4. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

9mm all the way you can pick up Winchester USA bulk 100 pack ammo at Walmart cheapest place around. Glock model 17 or Springfield XD

5. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

I have a NIB Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine F/S. I bought two one for me and one for my wife. She would rather I keep one CX4 and get a 9mm pistol. This is why I am selling it. $599.00 plus shipping and insurance to your FFL.

Lance

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get a used Walther P-38, P-1 or P-4. They are fun, well made, and accurate. And as mentioned above, 9mm is cheaper to plink with.<br>
    <br>
    (I have the most fun Walther P-38. It's in 5.6mm (.22 LR).)<br>
    <br>
    As for a Glock, my advice is to not get one. Glock specifically says not to shoot lead or remanufactured/reloaded ammo in their guns, and for good reason. They are not safe with other than new factor jacketed ammunition. If you want to educate yourself with the issues surrounding Glocks, click the link.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am by no means the handgun expert. I have shot a bunch of Glocks in all calibers and I swear the 9mm has more snap and unpleasantness when shooting then the 40. In a Glock I would shoot a 40 for no other reason then that. If you are seriouslt asking which is better or which should you use the answer is easy.40 all the way. Jeff

8. Brian in Oregon

Glocks do transmit more recoil into the hand than other handgun designs. I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup 10mm, and it shoots considerably softer than a Glock 20. Ditto for just about any "conventional" 9mm vs a Glock 17 or 19. If recoil is an issue, this is something to consider.

9. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I think a .40 would be more effective for defense than the 9mm

10. Brian in Oregon

Yes, the .40 is better for defense than the 9mm. But that's not what he wants the gun for. He wants it for, and I quote, "some fun shooting at the range". That to me means this is not a situation that puts defensive qualities of the cartridge as the primary determining factor.

11. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

chit, get a 45 , Dan

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

You need to define what fun shooting is for you, and how much noise & recoil you want or will tolerate. For me, fun shooting means a High Standard .22 rimfire. But that's because they're scary accurate, solid, dependable, and cheap to shoot, so I shoot 500-1000 a month through them. If you want more noise & kick, then get a 9mm, and I'm with Chuckles, a 9X19 HiPower if you plink but want to do it accurately. Want to just make noise? Glock 17. Phil E

13. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

For fun range shooting you really want a nice .38 Special revolver, such as a Model 14 S&W

14. marine_0341

marine_0341 TS Member

the XD`s are good pistols at decent prices. i`d say .40 or 9mm. Stay away from .357 sig. The ammo is way too expensive. 18 bucks a box for standard winchester rounds at Wal-Mart.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shoot practice with my Glock 17-9MM, as stated the ammo is cheap at WalMart and eliminates the need for reloading ... I save the good stuff for when practice is over and it goes back into the business mode ... I do not shoot reloads in any gun that I own, but save the brass for the guys I know who do reload ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the Hi-Powers best also...they are one of the easiest to tune ..like a 1911 style..I have a 9mm and a 40cal...the 9 is the cheapest and most fun to "plink" with

17. marine_0341

marine_0341 TS Member

I found a brand new Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm compact and stand M&P .40 at Gander Mountain in Wichita, Kansas for $499.00 each. Decent price for high quality pistols and the ammo is really cheap. M&P`s Glocks or XD`s are all good choices and decent priced

18. marine_0341

marine_0341 TS Member

I STILL STAND BY THE XD`S BUT SINCE I DIDNT HAVE ONE IN .40 I BOUGHT AN M&P. TALK ABOUT A SOLID WEAPON. GOOD LUCK FINDING A LEATHER HOLSTER FOR IT

19. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Go with the Glock 17 for fun. You can buy new 9mm FMJ (50) for under $6.50 on the web. If you want to shoot even cheaper (sometimes) you can buy the 22 conversion for the Glock 17 for about $225

9mm ammo on sale - http://www.natchezss.com
    22 conversion - http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/aack.html

Hawk,

20. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I recently had the same question, already had a Glock 22 (40 cal). After having shot a H&K and Sig, I bought a Sig 229 in 40 cal. Much loke the H&K LEM trigger, The Sig DAK trigger is double action every time with built in safeties.

There are lots of pistol forums on the web and those guys are very friendly.

You can also buy quality 40 cal ammo cheap if you look around.

But the gun that fits your hand best and points like your index finger does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.