1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.40 ca. S&W reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapperwads, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience using hard cast lead 180 grain flat nose .401 diameter bullets? Same powder and primer as in 180 grain JHP? thanks ed nichols

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pretty much the same amount of powder for the jacketed and cast bullet, but I hope you have a loading manual which would have shown you that.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Anyone shooting lead bullets should have a manual showing them. Sometimes things are different...

Bruce

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Some mfgrs PROHIBIT the use of lead in a 40.

Very fussy high pressure cartridge, sometimes too high.

Google glock kaboom or the like. I wont load 40's

regards

5. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

JHP and lead are two different animals. Less powder with lead because after 1000 fps you start to strip the rifling off the bullet where the jacket can be pushed a lot farther. I use 5.6gr of Power Pistol behind a 180 head head. All the usual disclaimers apply and load at your own risk. Be careful with brass from a GLOCK as they usually have a bulge at the base. Look it up, It's called the glock bulge or glocked brass. Watch out for cracks in this area. Get a good book and only use published loads and start at the low end and work your way up.
    Dave

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Glock's have different rifling (hexagonal, I think) that prohibit the use of lead bullets. If you do use lead, you will have a real mess on your hands that will take a lot of cleaning to get rid of.

Bruce

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get yourself a nice S&W revolver. No bulged brass, shoot lead or jacketed bullets. Much more reliable and you don't have to wait for the slide to cycle inorder to shoot the next shot. HMB

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Glocks have a unsupported chamber. The brass will bulge at the 6'o'clock
    position in the chamber. Do not shoot lead bullets in a Glock as the
    lead will build up in the rifling raising pressure which may result
    in a Glock Ka-Boom.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lead and JHPs usually require different loading data in the .40. As said previously, an aftermarket barrel in the Glocks with square rifling and a "fully supported" chamber is the way to go. In general, Cast bullets should be driven to more reasonable velocities. Use the Jacketed stuff for the higher velocities. Use reliable data from a trusted source. The bullet profile can sometimes cause feeding issues in some guns.

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Most, if not all, manufacturers discourage the use of reloads in their firearms. So what?

I agree with the "unsupported" chamber problems. Blew the magazine out of an old Smith 39 when a lead bullet telescoped into a case and raised the pressures too high (guessing on the telescope thing but not on the case thing as I found several of the same headstamp cases with bulges while picking up my brass).

Had a 40, don't any more. Sold the dies, brass, bullets and all with it. Not out of any problems, just because I like my 45 acp and my revolvers more.

Plan on shooting reloads in all my guns just the same as always. How are the manufacturers going to prove I did? Don't know. I use common sense with reloads, discard questionable brass, and don't load max.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you dont know the Difference you dont need to reload
    As for Glock they are {as some say supported} glock is design to shoot dirty ammo the chambers are larger to use ammo that got dropped in the mud.
    They make for a reloading problem but the gun will work it just dont make a target gun
    As for reloading ALL manufactures say NO RELOADS that is because of the Micky Ds law suit for hot coffee.
    Dont reload any thing is not worth the risk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.