1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.40 ?? 1911 9mm ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1911,5 " barrel stainless 9mm and or .40 S&W. These are just for plinking so function with hardball ammo is fine

Any recommendations ?

Please note I have several in .45acp and have several good CCW guns. These are just for fun. Thanks, Richard

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

what about a 38 super? that is really a sleeper

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

9mm. When ammo is cheaper to shoot, you'll shoot it more, and learn to shoot it better.

Ross Carter did a red dot mount and trigger job on mine, and it's my favorite gun.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most problem 1911's I have seen were in calibers other than 45. Buy a gun made for the 9X19.

A Glock 34 will work for you.

5. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

9mm cheaper to shoot. I love my Kimber Stainless II in 9mm. I went with Tripp Research mags.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Glocks are not immune either. Ammo quality is an issue with the 9mm, especailly if you buy cheap stuff and thats what we do for plinking.

My cheapo Rock Island and CZ are as dependable as my 19 or 34 Glocks.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Check out the STI Spartan 9mm from Dawson Precision...or look up the reviews about it on YouTube. For a little over $600 you can't find a better 1911 style in 9mm. Forget the .40 cal - sharp recoil and expensive ammo. Regards, Ed

8. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

OldGoat is dead on with STI Spartan. Though the Spartan might not being assembled here in the States (in Philippines i think), but it sure is one of the best fit, slide to frame to barrel for under $1000. I had an STI Trojan in 9mm a few yrs back...regretted that i sold it.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The YouTube STI Spartan 9mm review (worth watching) indicates that the frame of the Spartan V is from Armscor (Phillipines). The rest of the parts - slide, barrel, etc. are from STI (America) and assembled/fitted at Dawson in the U.S. Regards, Ed

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Pricey 1911 Nines work. The 34 wholesales for $550, should be available for $600. Comes with 2 mags, it WORKS.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Buy a BHP, nice design, feels great in the hand. Combat proven world wide.

Old school but still the sexiest pistol ever made.

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

A 9mm is cheaper shoot but I carry a 40cal.

13. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I picked up a S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9mm a few years back and have really enjoyed it. Came with 2 10 rd. mags. I had a red fiber optic front sight installed on mine. May be what you are looking for.

14. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I realize I got into the game late in life, (1911 platform) but I don't get the economics of the 9mm over the 45 unless you don't reload. I reload using quality cast bullets (68 H&G), BE, 231, Clays, WST etc and once fired purchased brass. I load this all for under $5.00 per box. If I loaded for the 9 mm, I can only cut this down approx $.40 per box or about $4.35. Is that little that important?! Tom Rhoads

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Time, Tom, Time....

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I vote for the Spartan or S&W 9mm. I've had both and they were flawless
    in function.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Richard, since either caliber is going to come with a ramped barrel, I'd call the manufacturers of the pistols you are considering and ask about drop-in barrel conversions. With some manufacturers, you can only convert if you start with a specific caliber. My Sig is like that.

I agonized over the same decision and opted for the 9mm, only because that's what several of my friends shoot and factory ammo is a little cheaper. Since I now know I can get custom loads for 17 cents a round in 9mm and 20 cents in .40, I wish I had bought the .40. That would give me a choice of minor loads (130PF) or major loads (170PF). BTW, the .40 barks less than the 9mm, and the minor PF load shoots softer than the 9mm.

Since you want a 1911, you'll have 10 round+ capacity in either caliber. If you want to shoot games like bowling pins or run-gun with poppers, plates, etc., the .40 is a better choice. With my 9mm, even using 147 gr @ 980fps (144PF), I still have to hit them high to get them to drop. That decreases the target area you have to aim at. Since a heavier, slower bullet works better for plates and pins (that you have to knock over) than a lighter, faster bullet, the .40 has a clear advantage even using minor loads. With major loads, you'll have no trouble at all.

BTW, the cheap factory 9mm ammo you can buy is usually loaded with 115gr bullets. Great for plinking but virtually useless for plates.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Richard, You say you already several in 45acp. Just buy more ammo for what you have! You will be money ahead.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a 1911 Para Ordinance Limited in .40. And also another one in .45. Both are great. The .40 only holds 2 more, and does not do anything the .45 cannot. Even though it is a reliable and accurate pistol, I do not think I would bother buy it again. I kind of like the .40 in a Beretta, S&W or CZ, but it just does not do anything for me in the 1911.
    I have sold a couple of dozen 1911's that are chambered in 9mm. People mostly buy them to take advantage of a lot cheaper ammo. We have a 15 lane indoor range right behind the store. I have not had to go back and clear any jams or had any customers complain about the 9mm versions of the 1911. I have a .22 slide conversion for my .45 that I use when I want cheap practice.

20. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

If you opt for the 9mm, do a little research on the CZ P-01 I believe. Just shot a friend of mines today and was very impressed. I own and shoot a Browning HP. May take a serious look at the CZ.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.