1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4 YARD PENALTY YARDAGE, EXCESSIVE?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    we just had our state shoot, one thing that caught my eye was a 4 yard penalty if you wanted to shoot handicap. example, if your on 20 yds, and for what ever reason you could not shoot the required handicap targets, you shot from 24 yards. with sand bagging, i understand the penalty, but 4 yards? numerous shooters thought this penalty to be excessive, most thought 2 penalty yards was enough. i look at it from the other side, and i can understand the logic behind it. with trapshooting being down in most areas, do you think the penalties at state shoots should be relaxed or not?
    steve balistreri

2. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

Thats just right or make it 5 yards we have
    way to many baggers and cheaters out there. I always thought
    it was a Honor to shoot in the highest class I could get in or
    the longest yardage ! Some would rather steal a cheep trophy
    from a less advanced shooter !! Than shoot in their class.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Shoot targets only, then there is no penalty. Penalty yardage is nothing new. I haven't seen penalty yardage any less than 23 yards, with 24 being the norm. Bill Malcolm

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

According to the ATA rule book, shoot management can decide what the penalty yardage can be as long as it's not less than assigned yardage. At the recent Southern Zone shoot it was a 3yd penalty if you didn't meet the target minimums.

Eric

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

25 Yards is the common penalty yardage around here. I got hit with that at a state shoot years ago when I was just getting into the sport. It seemed unfair but the truth is I was under-handicapped at the time having only earned one punch. If they had let me shoot at the 21 yard line I might have won something and that wouldn't be fair to the people that were properly handicapped. So that is what penalty yardage is all about, keeping the game fair. Sorry if you feel you were over handicapped, just keep shooting registered handicap and you won't have this happen to you next year.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

shoot targets only...

7. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Shooting 'birds-only' at a State Shoot?? Just as well stay home and shoot practice.

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I believe SR SMOKE is referring to the WI State shoot.

I don't think they have the option of shooting TARGETS ONLY without a penalty.

The link to thier online program is down, but I know for a fact the past two years my SJ son had to shoot penalty yardage, either 20 or 21 yds. He paid the reduced cost entry fee which prohibited playing the money, but he was still eligible for the awards. Maybe that's the difference (why they penalized him).

In any event, I also know that IA doesn't penalize SJ or JR shooters for lack of targets.

To answer the question, I think 4 yds is too much.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

State shoot penalty should be the 26 yd. line if the required targets are not met and no "targets only" clause.

Curt

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I think 24's pretty standard and reasonable for a man.

I think it would be a bit much for a jr. or sub-jr. shooter.

11. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I too have gotten hit at a State Shoot with penalty yardage and realize it is part of the game. No complaints, just shot and was hoping to win to get a hugh punch. I was on the 22 at the time and shot penelty from the 25. If I recall correctly a win would have gotten me a punch to the 27. I busted my butt to shoot to win but did not win or even get a punch. 22 to the 27 in one day would have been something to talk about.
    See ya at the Grand,
    CA

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This train of thought is a little unclear. If the added yardage PENALTY why would the number of yards matter. The idea is to penalize the shooter without the proper target requirements.

With that being said what possible difference does the number of yards of penalty have on the shooter. Would three yards be excessive? How about two yards would that also be excessive?

Bob Lawless

13. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Bob,
    Good point.
    It is part of the game....so we should play the game and enjoy.
    CA

14. ivanhoe

Clay Addict lets face it the penalty class is put in place to assure that the shooter that shoots all year and puts in his minimum targets in some cases many time more than the minimum. Are not taken advantage of by those that don't shoot their minimums.

Yet shoot thousands of target every year at longer yardages in unregistered events and should be at a longer yardage to begin with. They are not because they don't shoot at least their minimums. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as EXCESSIVE

Bob Lawless

15. shamlin

shamlin Member

Someone said it and I couldn't agree more; with this economy and the efforts to bring in new shooters, penalty yardages of that magnitude are just way too long. Imagine if it was a new shooter that just started 2 months ago and he/she wanted to attend their State shoot. #1, its practically impossible for them to obtain target mins unless they are extremely rich; #2 they go, shoot horrible and decide this is not the sport for them and quit. Thats bad for trapshooting.

16. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Shamlin,
    I see your point. The resolution is that a new shooter be allowed to shoot targets only at their assigned yardage. Rather than create a situation where a person would get discouraged by yardage, let them shoot and have the satisfaction to know that they might have been competitive if they had started sooner. Each State Association has to decide what is best for the event but it would be easy to offer target only class. Winner gets a box of shells and the low score should get a case of shells to practice with.

I agree it should be fun, but we have rules such as minimums for a reason.
    I do not have the solution, just shoot where I am told to and remember...the worst day shooting beats the best day at work.
    CA

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Penalty yardage is one of those things we do that penalizes many to prevent a very few from taking advantage of the system. Another reason for penalty yardage, although it is difficult to get anyone to admit to this, is to get shooters to shoot more targets so they can avoid a penalty.

For me, a 2-3 yard penalty, 25 yard max. penalty, is sufficient. Also, many shoots wave the penalty for category shooters. This strikes me as wrong. I believe we should treat every shooter the same. I would not expect a sub-junior, lady or a senior-vet to give me any advantage in a shoot off, so why should they get any special consideration with classification?

Pat Ireland

18. ivanhoe

Pat I agree with your statement about category classification? Although something you said does not make sense to me.

"For me, a 2-3 yard penalty, 25 yard max. penalty, is sufficient."

What do you mean "is sufficient" sufficient for what?

Bob Lawless

19. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Why the 25 yd max? A new shooter with 800 birds who is stuck on the 20 gets shoved back to the 25 but a shooter who is gifted with the same 800 birds who happened to get lucky/hot at the right shoots and has been punched back to the 25 gets no "penalty"

Same can be said for the shoter who is returning after a few years and is back at his old yardage but if that yardage is longer than the 25 he gets no penalty

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

9point3, That is incorect. I returned after 12 years off my yardage was 25.5 at the great lakes grand they made me shoot from the 27. I just shot em with the big dogs and let the hulls fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.